Panasonic 28in television "afterglow" image

Here is a strange one. The only similar issue I can find is the "afterglow" effect mentioned on older RCA televisions. Anyway, I have a Panasonic 28" TV. It is quite a few years old. Sometimes (50%+), after turning it off, the video image still appears on the screen (in full motion). Unlike the RCA "afterglow" issue, this isn't just a dot in the middle of the screen, it is the full video image in normal time. The image is much darker than when the TV is turned on, but, it is very clear. It does this even when using the VIDEO1 & VIDEO2 inputs (not just broadcast TV). If I turn the TV back on, switch channels (or video modes) and then turn it back off, it finally goes totally black. I have also noticed that the very back part of the tube is glowing hot. I don't know if that is normal, but, I assume its not. No other problems with the television. Assuming it is on it's last legs, I am starting to look for a replacement and am shutting it off at the power strip in the meantime. Any ideas?

Reply to
damphool

Great T.V. Long lasting unit. Your relay likely has the contacts stuck. Just get it replaced with the same specs. The CRT (tube) is supposed to get hot. If your'e asking these type of questions...please be carefull. You could get hurt badly, or worse! Get someone who knows T.V.'s to get it fixed. Dani.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Dani

Ahh... Exactly what I was looking for. I realize the high-voltage issues and have no intention of even cracking the case. Given your insight, I think I'll try to find a shop that will repair it versus replacing it quite yet (money is a little tight). Any idea what replacement contacts should run (I know labor is going to be the biggest cost, but, just trying to make sure I don't get taken for a ride). Thank you very much.

Jayson

Reply to
damphool