RCA 31" 1994 - repair or replace?

My 31" RCA from 1994 has worked flawlessy until a few weeks ago, when it just refused to turn on. I opened it up and replaced the fuse to no avail. That is the extent of my electronics skills.

If I unplug it for a few minutes and then re-plug it, there is a series of quiet chirping sounds emanating from the back of the set - maybe at the rate of 2 per second and a total of about 20 times.

Considering the age of this set, is it worth trying to get it repaired? I am in central New Jersey, if that has any bearing on repair costs. I don't know any shop in particular to bring it to - I'd have to take my chances from the yellow pages.

If I were to replace, I'm looking at a 32" JVC CRT for about $400 (one the last of the CRT sets in that size).

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Reply to
guitarleft2001

Was the Fuse gone....?? Whats the Model Number ?

Reply to
kip

The fuse did not appear to be blown, but I replaced it anyway. There was no difference. The model number is F31226ES and was purchased in 1994. Thank you!

kip wrote:

Reply to
guitarleft2001

Ok its a CTC169.... First you will have to do some measuring of voltages whilst in standby mode .. Read the voltage on the center pin of the Horizontal Output transistor using the tuner case as the return.

lets know what it is.

kip

Reply to
kip

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ha escrito:

sounds like there is a short and the power supply is not starting up. desolder and remove the HOT and connect a 100 w bulb across c-e. see if you get any b+ there.

-B.

First - If your extent to your electronics knowledge it switching fuses, Don't poke around in the back of a tv.

Your best advice from me is, price a new tv and decide if that cost is affordable to you. Then consider that although the failed part may be as simple as a shorted diode, the cost of a shop replacing that diode will be

80 to 100 in shop fees with parts. If your tv was working real well, with a bright clear picture - I would say take it to a shop and have then diagnose it, then decide to repair or replace based on your new price cost and the age of your old tv. Jtt.
Reply to
James Thompson

I have had my 36" RCA tv repaired 3 years ago (was under extended warr, I lost papers, had to pay for repair) but it was worth it as it was 3 years old at the time and cost $275 to repair. Still working fine. I live in Freehold NJ and if you want to go to the same place I had my tv repaired I will look up the address.

Sal Brisindi

Reply to
Sal Brisindi