PAL to NTSC and voltage conversion

Dear all,

I have some questions regarding PlayStation 2 hardware, but I am not sure if this is the appropriate group. If not, could you tell me where to send my message?

I am residing in the US for a couple of years and I brought by PS2 from Europe (particularly from Spain). I need some devices to convert: (a) the PAL signal into NTSC, and (b) the voltage/frequency from European to US standards. Could you give me some advice and/or links about where I can buy these items?

Suppose I use some external device to convert from PAL to NTSC. Is that enough to play US games in a European PS2 ? Somebody told me that the games are codified in a different way to prevent form using in different region machines.

Thank you very much! Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Cabrera

Since you are asking about using it and not "hacking" it, this is a good a place as any. :-)

Don't waste your time converting it. Buy a multisystem TV. Just make sure it takes 120 volts AC and NTSC-3.57 signals via the tuner. Multisystem TVs made for use overseas often have PAL tuners and take NTSC signals only on the line in. (for example my Sony).

They are sold by places in large cities that cater to sailors and people with family outside of the U.S. who buy them and ship them "home". You can try asking at Indian grocery stores.

Israelis often have stores in big cities that sell "foreign" electronics, but they have a less than wonderful reputation. (Before you accuse me of being antisemitic, look where I am posting from.)

As for power, a simple 120-230 volt step up transformer will do. They are fairly easy to get. Radio Shack used to carry them, they may still do. Get one rated twice the power your PS/2 requires.

No, it the games will not work. It can be modified by adding a ROM chip with special (non Sony) code. This is called "chipping" the unit. It may be illegal in the U.S.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838