DC power supply goes wonky

I have a 12 volt power supply that converts 110AC to 12V DC (actually 13.5.) I haven't used it for some time. I was using it to check some wiring and find it is now putting out 21 VDC. ??? ds

--
THE WORLD WILL END TONIGHT AT 9  O'CLOCK!
(9:30 in Newfoundland.)

The voltage regulator circuit is defective. It is also possible that the output transistor, or device in the supply is shorted in some way.

You will need some troubleshooting and servicing skills, and the sources for the parts, to fix your power supply. If your supply uses common generic parts, these can be purchased from any of the generic electronics parts suppliers. If you have to send it out, this would not be cost effective, since they are not expensive to buy.

--

JANA
_____

"DS"  wrote in message
I have a 12 volt power supply that converts 110AC to 12V DC (actually 13.5.)
I haven't used it for some time.
I was using it to check some wiring and find it is  now putting out 21 VDC.
???
ds
Reply to
JANA

Hello, DS! You wrote on Mon, 8 Aug 2005 08:43:53 -0400:

D> I have a 12 volt power supply that converts 110AC to 12V DC (actually D> 13.5.) I haven't used it for some time. D> I was using it to check some wiring and find it is now putting out 21 D> VDC. D> ??? D> ds

Wouldn't be that unusual without a load. But it does seem a bit high, Is the reservoir smoothing cap OK? If it goes open you might get a high reading with lots of ripple.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

As someone else noted, check it under load. But if it is the typical Radio Shack or similar "12 V" power supply, then it probably is a regulator problem, possibly just bad solder connections or a shorted transistor (though that wouldn't happen from sitting around).

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anyth>

But technology is changing so fast that indeed, a drive that appears similar on the outside may have a different bit density on the platters.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

but using it for "testing wiring" may have applied a short and let the smoke out of the series reg device ...

Reply to
budgie