PAL-M to NTSC conversion?

So do you have PAL-M tapes or just the PAL-M tape machine? Compared to the European flavors of PAL (625 line 50 field), PAL-M (525 lines, 60 fields) is comparatively simple but still a chore. You'd have to decode down to component Y,R-Y,B-Y and then re-encode into NTSC. GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Hello.

I have a VCR that (it seems) only gives PAL-M (it was made for the Brazilian market, and Brazil has PAL-M only) on the composite (RCA) video and RF outputs.

The VCR doesn't have S-Video, so this isn't an option to consider.

I need to use it with a video capture card on my PC, that only does NTSC.

I know there are some converters available, but I can't find anybody selling them here in my city.

Q: How would I go to make a circuit to convert PAL-M to NTSC? Is there any specific IC that can do this?

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W / GMT-
2h / 15m

"He [Babya] is like the Energizer Bunny of hopeless newsgroup
posting....or should that be Energizer bBunny"
                                - "ceed" on alt.comp.freeware, 24/1/2005

(to some groups: Yes, I use Windows and MS Office. So what?)
Reply to
Chaos Master

Check out these folks:

gwhite

That's not the hardest part - what about 50fps to 60fps? This question comes up very often and the answer is always "It is too difficult - buy a pre-made converter."

Reply to
Mark Jones

Double check software. Download software for PAL-M countries, and you might be able to set the capture card for PAL-M.

Reply to
Gary J. Tait

Not for PAL-M. You are forgetting that PAL is simply a colour encoding method, which rides upon a lines/FPS structure. PAL-M uses the same picture layout as North American 525 lines/30fps video, but with PAL encoding, therefore it would be as simple as getting component from that, and recoding the component to NTSC.

Reply to
Gary J. Tait

This is Glenn Gundlach for forever:

Both PAL-M tapes and VCR. (they're recordings of old TV programs)

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W / GMT-
2h / 15m

"He [Babya] is like the Energizer Bunny of hopeless newsgroup
posting....or should that be Energizer bBunny"
                                - "ceed" on alt.comp.freeware, 24/1/2005

(to some groups: Yes, I use Windows and MS Office. So what?)
Reply to
Chaos Master

This is Gary J. Tait for forever:

up

So, does this means I just need to:

DECODE ENCODE PAL-M COMPONENT TO ------------> TO COMPONENT NTSC (YCbCr?)

If so, any specific IC's that can decode/encode video? (With those, it would be less difficult)

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W / GMT-
2h / 15m

"He [Babya] is like the Energizer Bunny of hopeless newsgroup
posting....or should that be Energizer bBunny"
                                - "ceed" on alt.comp.freeware, 24/1/2005

(to some groups: Yes, I use Windows and MS Office. So what?)
Reply to
Chaos Master

When I lived in RJ, I had a VCR modified for around 80$US. In SaoPaulo you will find these Video shops, probably also in any other bigger town. I doubt you will find anything outside Brasil, because it is the only country with PAL-M. A lot of quality got lost by the conversion. Later I bought a Panasonic NV-W1, which can do all kind of conversions in high quality. It is a legendary part and will be quite expensive on Ebay.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

comes up

In theory, yes, if you cannot get the card to process PAL-M

Reply to
Gary J. Tait

This is Ban for forever:

I will have to look for those in a few video/electronics stores in Porto Alegre (my city, Canoas, has none).

I'm going there anyway (looking for a new PC), so it won't be a problem.