PAL to NTSC conversion

I want to output NTSC 60hz from a PAL VCR.

There are many digital converters I could buy but....

Is there a chip solution for this? (That doesn't need software....even an osolete older chip)........something that is plug and play.......PAL 50hz input gives NTSC 60hz output?

Thanks.

Reply to
EBG

are you really sure you want to take on a project like that ? its not as simple as you make it sound.

Reply to
Jamie

There is no chip, but you can try here:

They list the NTSC version of an old product called the PC/TV by Tecmar. I know the PAL version of this unit converts PAL video to

640x480 VGA at non-interlaced scan (~31 kHz), and the picture looks good. The software drivers have settings that will do interlaced output at RS-170A scan rates, but I have never seen the quality of the picture - YMMV. Perhaps a more modern video capture device could be modified to suit your needs.

Frank Raffaeli

Frank Raffaeli

This is a Non Trivial problem

It would be cheaper to buy a dual standard VCR

sorry

martin

Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Reply to
martin griffith

an

50hz

The 'simple' answer, is no. Converting PAL 50Hz, to NTSC 50Hz, is relatively simple, and there are several chips to do this. However to convert properly between 50Hz, and

60Hz, requires a framestore, capable of holding several frames (5 minimum), and interpolating these to produce 6 frames out. It is not a simple/cheap project, or something that can be done in a single chip. The development cost of such a unit, would make the price of 'off the shelf' solutions look cheap. Beware though, that some of the cheaper units, do cut corners, and don't give very good results.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

I have a Panasonic NV-W1(from 1992) VCR, that can convert from/into anything. But beware these are still expensive used.Samsung makes concurrently a model, I think. You can buy a stand alone converter for

300bucks:
cmd950, cmd1200
--
ciao Ban