Sony video walkman GV-S50 change to PAL?

Hi I hope this is the right place to ask.

I brought a GV-S50 on ebay the seller said he was in the UK where I am, it then arrived from America!!

My question is can I modify it to PAL, someone mentioned that it may have both the circuits already and just the NTSC is activated for the American market, if its sold to the UK the PAL section is used. I know the PAL version will play both PAL and NTSC tapes. Does anyone know anything about this I have searched google with no luck

I was hoping I could use it to monitor video but again my video signal does not work with it. Maybe someone has the schematics and could have a check for me please.

Thanks loads Seb

Reply to
Seb

In many of these units, to change the broadcast system that it operates on, the tuner section, IF section, and video processing sections are of different specifications. This also includes the sync drives, and the servo setup for the tape section.

In more simple terms, there are a number of boards and parts to change, and then a recalibration is required, to make many of these types of units work on a different broadcast system.

This applies to many of the models in this level of unit.

You can download the user manual here:

JANA _____

I brought a GV-S50 on ebay the seller said he was in the UK where I am, it then arrived from America!!

My question is can I modify it to PAL, someone mentioned that it may have both the circuits already and just the NTSC is activated for the American market, if its sold to the UK the PAL section is used. I know the PAL version will play both PAL and NTSC tapes. Does anyone know anything about this I have searched google with no luck

I was hoping I could use it to monitor video but again my video signal does not work with it. Maybe someone has the schematics and could have a check for me please.

Thanks loads Seb

Reply to
JANA

[...]

What confused or made the original poster hopeful was that there is a multisystem version sold in Europe. The market for things like this most likey 80%-90% 100-130 volt ac/60 HZ, NTSC. This covers Japan and North America (and most of South America too) and with a different power supply Korea.

That makes it worthwhile to have two versions, an NTSC only version and a multisystem version sold in the rest of the world. Since at least five of the NTSC versions are sold to one of the multisystem units, it makes no sense to include the extra parts, microprocessor programing etc.

The multisystem units are sold in countries that have high import duties, luxury taxesm VAT, and in some places import quotas so people are used to paying high prices for them. In the U.S. a one dollar difference in price could lose a sale.

BTW, Sony U.S. a much bigger company than Sony Japan, will NOT sell a multisytem unit of any kind.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Thanks for the replies, I will try and get rid of it and find a PAL player.

Seb

Reply to
Seb