Mitsubishi VS-5043 - Raster Problems, 3 Curved RGB lines

Hi Folks,

I have a mitsubishi Vs-5043 bought around 1997. Couple of months ago, it started having raster problems. Picture disappears, three curved red, green, blue lines appear in the middle of the screen. If I turn off the TV and turn it on after a few minutes, the picture comes back for around 5-10 minutes but, it disappears and the curved lines appear again.

I opened up the front and back covers and looked for any obvious problems but could not find anything glaring (like leaking coolants, burnt components).

As this seemed to be caused by a over-heated component, I put a fan in front of the TV and it ran fine for more than a hour and half and did not lose the picture.

Any suggestions/wisdom? ( for finding the offending component(s) and not plan-b: fixing a nice fan on the back of the TV!)

M. P.

Reply to
mitsuproblems

If the lines are horizontal - left to right - then it sounds like you have two problems. First you are losing vertical deflection, causing only a horizontal line. Second the fact that the three colors are separating and curving sounds like a convergence problem. Convergence is what lines up and aims the three picture tubes' pictures to generat one image with the right colors in the correct places. If it all happens at one time - that is the picture is normal then goes straight to missing vertical AND separated/curved colored lines - then it sounds like you are losing a power supply voltage which supplies both the vertical and the convergence circuits at the same time.

These TVs are notorious for bad capacitors at that age. Even if only one or two may be causing the problem, the whole set may need to be re-capped - replacing every electrolytic capacitor that has gone bad, may go bad, or is likely to go bad in the future. There may be a few hundred parts to change. The parts are inexpensive but the amount of labor involved may make the TV not economical to repair. A TV of this age usually doesn't have much life left in the picture tubes - making a repair of this type worthless.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Many thanks jeff and jumpster the your advice.

I cut off the plastic tabs behind the top two pins of the molex connectors on the yokes and resoldered the pins on all three yoke pcbs. The focus and alignment got a bit messed up but refocused using the controls inside and aligned using on-screen display.

The tv worked for an hour or so, but was too soon for celebration. Now the tv seems to work longer but loses the picture and the "good old" lines come back when we change the channel or when the tv is first turned on.

Looks like I have to resolder the vertical IC 401, also. Being a novice at this, I need some help in locating the IC 401. Looks like I have to take the low-voltage board off the cabinet and look for it closely. Any advice?

THX, MP

Reply to
MitsuProblems

No...the lightbox slides out of the cabinet and you can access the bottom off the boards easily!

You need to remove the front screen and unplug the control panel harness and speaker cable harness. Then remove the 2 panels between the lightbox & cabinet sides.

Then there are 2 screws on the left and right bottom edge of the lightbox.

A couple more along the back plastic edge of the chassis and your good to go.

-- ========================== Jeff Stielau Shoreline Electronics Repair

344 East Main Street Clinton,CT 06413 860-399-1861 860-664-3535 (fax) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net ========================
Reply to
Shoreline Electronics