Mitsubishi Television...Can't Turn It On Reliablely

I have a 27" Mitsubishi television from the mid 90's that will not turn on reliablely.

One must turn it on dozens of times before it will stay on.

I have noticed that it is used often, the problem goes away while if it is not used for weeks the problem becomes more severe.

I have checked the archives and it does sound like the known capacitor problem with Mitsubishi sets of the 90's raising its ugly head.

While the set is a very nice set which works great after getting it turned on and it does have sentimental value, I seriously doubt that it is worth going through if one needs to replace hundreds of caps.

The main question I have for the group is does anyone know why the set refuses to turn on? Does anyone know the failure mode that is going on? Is this a common symptom? My sister had a similar set of comparable age with the same problem.

Thanks for any advice.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

You shouldn't have to replace hundreds of caps, the Mits cap issue is the PiP board and is a couple dozen caps, that board can be removed and bypassed if you don't use that feature. The power issue is probably a capacitor in the power supply or a cold solder joint, the repair should be fairly simple and straightforward, I do suggest you stop using the set until it's fixed though, those quick power cycles are hard on it.

Reply to
James Sweet