Mitsubishi 50" tv that won't turn on.

This is the typical problem that I see with these tv's posted all over the internet, hit the power button, light is green for a few seconds, and then turns off. I haven't found any good suggestions as to the cause or possible fix for it, outside of sending it to a tech. That is fine, as my last option, but I come to these sites for suggestions as to what "I" can do to fix the problem with as little money going out as possible. The tv is a VS-50603 and is about 5 years old, so the other thing I see is, "buy a new tv". I have no problems with this tv, when working, and it is the one I have in my bedroom, so I don't care to spend a lot to replace a tv in my bedroom, I have a much newer one in the living room and it cost more than enough. Also, this may just be me, but I would like to get more than 5 years out of something this expensive. It still looks brand new and is just a couple years out of warranty, so I don't want to scrap it. My parents had their tv for about twenty-five years, so I'd hate to think that quality of products is getting that much worse, even though I know that it is. It started smoking a while back when I turned it off and I had a tech come pick it up for $80 and they charged me $370 to replace a board that blew out. So, a few months later, this happens. I don't believe the two are related and don't believe that he did anything wrong, it worked fine for 3 months. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Reply to
hotrodz28
3 months ? Call the tech back
Reply to
rb

Coolant leaks from the CRTs are a common problem on these sets and if the chassis was moved this is even more likely.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

It's one of those situations where either you know where to start diagnosing and can provide some more details so people can make suggestions, or you should have a tech look at it. There's really no magic button you can push inside to make it work, any number of things could fail and cause the no power symptom.

Reply to
James Sweet

To get the advice you're looking for you need to do some basic troubleshooting, and let us know things like standby voltages, signals etc. Then you can troubleshoot the set. Example: Set is completely dead - check AC power from the power cord and follow it to the power supply board and find out where the voltage/power are NOT geting to. Note: if you find a blown fuse, that's more like a symptom than a problem. Chances are one or more shorted components caused it to blow. If you replace it without checking what caused it to blow you may cause further damage to the poer supply circuits. If you replace it with an incorrect (higher) value, you will burn out more components, maybe make the set not worth repairing, and maybe even cause a fire! With modern Projection Tvs, there is a switching power supply, and it's not likely to be only one component causing the problem. More likely several capacitors have each gone slightly out of their original value and caused multiple transistors, diodes, and ICs to fail. This means if you don't troubleshoot and test enough components, you could end up finding ten bad components, replacing them, and then an

11th bad part causes the ten replacements to fail again.

None of this is meant to discourage you. Do some basic troubleshooting and post your initial results here.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

As I posted earlier, that symptom could be caused by any number of problems, you simply have to do some troubleshooting to narrow it down a little, otherwise it's like asking "my car won't run, what's wrong with it?"

Reply to
James Sweet

That one's real easy to answer, James. It's broke! :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Cant be done . There are to many parts that could be the cause . You have to be able to use test equipment on it .

Lesson i have learned by working on many big screen tv sets .. Dont buy them .

Reply to
Ken G.

Yeah, wait until someone is tired of the broken one taking up space in their house then get it for free, got 5 or 6 of them that way and just kept trading up until I had a nice one and everyone else in my family who wanted one or had space has one but they can be a real pain to work on.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's just not that simple though, in some sets there's a common problem that causes that model to exhibit those symptoms, in many there's a lot of things that can and do occasionally go wrong.

I thought we were talking about a 50" Mitsubishi? What model is your 27"? Even if it's the same brand, internally it will have almost nothing in common with a projection set.

Reply to
James Sweet