MDS-501 problem

Hello,

I've bought a goodlooking second-hand mds-501. The minidisk has one problem. When starting for the first time the unit won't accept the disc. The disc starts turning but the laserunit does not move. I've to place it vertical on the side of the powerbutton. When he recognices it I can place it horizontal again. After playing or recording the first minidisk the problem seems to be over. I can play or record for hours without a problem but the next day the problem is back. Problems with a switch?? Heath problem. (when the unit is warm after a while it works perfectly ) Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance. Yde

Reply to
Yde

It's probably the micro switch not detecting the MiniDisc:

Jos

"Yde" schreef in bericht news:43eec$434c1af3$50395ac7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.chello.nl...

Reply to
<NOSPAM>

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@scarlet.biz...

Thanks for your reply. But the minidisc is detected. The disc starts spinning but the laser doesn't move a litlle, what he does when succeeding reading the TOC. Only when the machine is cold he refuges to read the disc. Later on it works perfectly. I've treated the switch beside the laserunit with kontaktspray. I've cleaned the laser. But nothing works. The only thing I can think of is that the laser has not got the right temperature at the start. More suggestions?

Thanks

Yde The Netherlands

Reply to
Yde

Just to be clear. Is this a 510 (MDS-JE510) or a 501 (which I haven't heard of)?

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

"Mark D. Zacharias" schreef in bericht news:oBr3f.867$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

It's a MDS-501. This was the second minidiskrecorder from Sony. It was the follow-up of the MDS-101. This recorder is better build and more reliable than the MDS-JE series. It was the first high-end minidisk.

Yde

Reply to
Yde

It may be the laser is sticking and when you put it in the position you cite as working that gravity is providing just enough "Assist" to get it unstuck... This could be due to old lubrication on the slide.

However, I assure you the above is 100% speculation (My best guess) and may well be nothing more

Just remember, My advice is worth exactlly what you paid for it :-) and your m>

--
      John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

If it's a different mech than the 510, which seems likely, then it's also likely it doesn't suffer from the same switch problems as a previous poster had thought.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

"John in Detroit" schreef in bericht news:mBx3f.116$W% snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...

Hello,

I cleaned the microswitches and treated them with kontaktspray. But still the minidisc has the same problem. After 10 minutes everything is normal. Has anybody any other solutions?? After 10 minutes it works perfectly.Why not in the beginning?? Speed of the spindlemotor?? He accepts some discs better than other ones,

Thanks in advance

Yde

Reply to
Yde