Dynamic impedance nomograph, a gift for you all

After someone posted that nice (old) PDF scan of the impedance nomograph, I thought I could do better. This is to say thanks for all the helpful advice I've received here (needs Javascript!). You can adjust it to whatever frequency and impedance range you need.

Let me know if you like it, or want some extra features or some more calculated results displayed.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Does not work in IE. Works in firefox tho...

Martin Riddle

Yes, sorry. I fixed an obvious error, but some IE versions still have trouble. Use a modern browser instead :P.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Truly cool.

 Click to see the full signature

Very very very nice. Thanks much. It will certainly be used. Incidentally, I still use the K&E printed versions of the reactance nomographs.

What do the 4 check boxes on the right do? I can check or uncheck them and nothing seems to change. (Firefox 29.0.1) It would be nice if they locked the value in the box and showed it as a highlighted line on the graph.

If possible, can you add a snap to grid feature so I can hit (for example) 10.000 MHz exactly? If not, rounding off to a settable number of signifigant digits will almost provide the same effect.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

They do nothing yet, but the idea was to lock, as you've said.

I've had another look at IE support, it's a timing funny with when it calculates geometry vs when it announces it's ready for use (when I draw the nomograph at the specified size). I could just make it fixed size for IE, I guess :(.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Try again. No joy with IE6, but it works in IE8. The resize is slow because Microsoft's Javascript engine sucks, but it does run.

If you're still using IE6, you have bigger problems than I can solve :)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That is seriuously cool. Thanks.

Reply to
jurb6006

Doesn't work in:

iCab 2.9.9 iCab 3.0.5 Mozilla 1.3 Classilla 9.3.0 IE 5.1 Navigator 3 Navigator 4 Communicator 4.7 Communicator 6

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

Fun! Thanks. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Do those browsers even HAVE Java ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Java, or Javascript? They are two completley different things.

Yes thay all have Javascript, but there are many different flavours of it, so anything written in Javascript is almost guaranteed not to work on some browsers. For completley browser-independent operation, it is better to write the clever bits in PHP on the server and deliver the results to the browser in bog-standard HTML.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

Well done, Clifford. Many thanks!

John S

Reply to
John S

Actually Javascript is pretty ok cross-platform-wise. The DOM it manipulates is much more variable, but the nomograph also uses SVG, which is less widely available, and only much more recently became fairly standard. The SVG library falls back to VML for IE5/6, but I didn't make a serious attempt at getting the HTML & JS to work on those.

For completley browser-independent operation, it is

If PHP is the answer, it must have been a damn funny question.

Thanks for the congrats, everyone :).

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Nice.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Only if you restrict the meaning of "cross-platform" to just the latest versions of Mac and Windows.

Javascript makes a huge proportion of recent websites almost impossible to read on older browsers which DO read it, but don't happen to have the latest version.

If you want true cross-platform capability, stick to HTML for the user interface.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

interface."

I agree, but I think there are some things you just can't do in HTML.

One thing that burns me up is when they start this "update your browser" sh it. ESPECIALLY when they're selling something. They can stick that somehwer e it wil not get a sunburn.

But when it comes to making it DO something , like calculate, sometimes you just have to have a modern browser. Like, try writing that nomograph in H TML only. how would you do it ? HTML is just a bunch of semi-effective form atting, like all the extra junk in a Word document about fonts and all that .

You are not going to get much actual computing out of it.

Can it maybe be donein CGI ? I'm not sure because I don't know anything but basic HTML. It does what I want. All tis other stuff is a new trick, and I am getting to be an old dog.

Reply to
jurb6006

You do them in something else (on the server), then deliver the results in HTML. That way, the programmer only has to be certain that his code runs on one computer system (the server) and can forget about polling the browser to see whether it runs runs this or that version of the software.

I am totally in agreement with that.

HTML is just a delivery mechanism, it was never meant to be anything else.

I expect it can, and an awful lot of the easier stuff can be done in PHP.

I'm just starting to learn PHP, and I'm surprised how like AlgolW it is (which I ran on punched cards in the 1970s). Never too late to start learning again - especially when it turns out to be the same thing you already knew but just called by a different name.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

Well I just noticed something pretty cool. In the past I saved javascript a nd ran it offline. It was a little amortization calculator that I thought w ould be nice to have. It originally came from a real estate site. It was ni ce to be able to run it offline. Also, there was an IRC portal on a site th at always put up a frame with banners. Being annoying like that, I figured out how to save that and got in the IRC without the crap.

I saved the nomograph page on my harddrive, disconnected from the onternat and it works offline as well. I do not need to be online to run it.

I cannot be scroogled !

So there are advantages to doing it this way. In fact what if their server is down ? The other day the internet was out for a bunch of hours due to fl ooding.

Now if I happened to be designing something and just out of pure coincidenc e forgot the value of pi...

I am a big proponent of backward compatibility. Every time I get a new OS t here is more stuff I cannot do. Windows 7 will not let me into my own %&##$ @ sendto menu ! I use it in XP and Vista to be able to send files to a diff erent program without changing the file association. Like I can send a pict ure to an editor instead of the windows junk viewer without permanently loc king it in. that way I don't have to open the program and browse to the dam n file. Windows can suck mine for all the stuff they took away. I canot sta nd Vista and right now I am STILL on the edge of downgrading this box to XP . Or owuld that be upgrading ?

In my media directory, I had a saved search, limited to the media directory that was *.*. It was saved in 98 as a "FND" file and hitting that confine d the search to that directory, which comes in handy when you have llike th ree or five harddrives.

And XP won't do it. And then we get to Vista and I have a hard tie even sea rching for a file. It is not a straightforward thing anymore.

It just gets worse and worse, and I will NEVER buy a car without a BUILT IN ASHTRAY.

Even tough I don't smoke.

I am sick of this less is more garbage. Less is less.

Reply to
jurb6006

Correct, that was deliberate. It's all embedded in the JS, and my server does nothing but deliver the files... unlike my 1997 water rocket simulator, which generates GIFs of the simulated data and delivers those. A very effective solution for last century, and probably still admired by those who are stuck back there.

Yes. The modern web is capable of some very cool things, so it's better to get used to the way it works.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath