Marconi TF2370 noise problem

Hi everyone, Does anyone have any experience in troubleshooting the Marconi TF2370 spectrum analyser. My unit seems to be nearly working once warmed up, but is suffering with continuous bursts of noise 'splatter' that come and go. If I connect the standard 10MHz output to the analyser's input and turn the unit on, there is just a reasonably quiet noise floor. After a minute or so the noise floor begins to increase and large bursts of 'splatter' begin to pass through the display. After a further few minutes the 10MHz peak appears (as it should) but is almost buried in a lower half display full of noise. Again large bursts of noise abound almost filling the screen. If I put the display on 'PEAK' then it fills up completely within seconds. Just occasionally this 'elephant grass' dissappears and the unit looks to be working normally, but never long enough to evaluate. I have just aquired the machine and so have no experience of it working normally. I realise there are many mixers etc in there but could do with some pointers like non destructive points where to disconnect the chain to isolate the noisy module. Thanks in anticipation..... Dave

Reply to
Dave Bullock

the

so

appears

be

pointers

I repaired one once , details on my file

I seem to remember you need to make up a board extender to work on it it is a large repair manual probably about 300 pages email addy on URL below

Check/re-solder/bridge all vias would be my suggestion

N Cook