Making an Adaptor from the vintage single wire 5/8" screw on MIC connector to BNC

Most of my vintage testers have those old style 5/8" screw on MIC connectors. I have considered changing all of them to BNC and I see many people do this, but I really dont feel like opening each tester to do this, plus I kind of like keeping vintage gear original.

I have some probes with the MIC connectors, but there are times I'd like to use a probe with a BNC on my vintage testers.

My idea is to simply make a few adaptors. I have several of the old MIC connectors, and I have a bunch of the chassis mount BNC connectors (which I believe is called the "female"). But I am not seeing any INLINE female BNC connectors. If I could find these female INLINE ones, I'd simply take a 6" piece of coax, and put the MIC connector on one end and the BNC on the other. Making 2 or 3 of these should suffice.

Has anyone seen any female INLINE BNC connectors to buy? Or, is there another method to accomplish this?

Yes, I could solder on the chassis type BNC connectors, but they would lack shielding at the connector.

Reply to
tubeguy

You can use these:

Or you can do what I did.

  1. Remove spring from connector.
  2. Drill out connector back with 11/32" drill.
  3. Tap connector shell using 3/8-32 tap.
  4. Solder #16 wire to solder cup on back of BNC female.
  5. Stick wire through connect grommet in Amphenol connector.
  6. Screw BNC into connector shell. Tighten.
  7. Solder wire to Amphenol connector grommet.
  8. Cut wire, smooth with file.

Presto! Instant, sort of, Amphenol Microphone to BNC adapter.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

If you don't mind buying from Chinese sellers and waiting a month or so for delivery, Ebay item 113114727770 is what you're after if you don't have the tooling for a crimp style connector (Ebay # 323326819341). Or, you could get several of these (Ebay # 392106541719) with the BNC already assembled onto the cable, Just cut off the banana plugs and solder your mic connectors onto the cable.

Cheers, Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Don't you want a UHF BNC adapter? Take a look at images.google.com with that search string...

The UHF center socket takes a banana plug, so putting a ground banana compatible post next to the coax connector can let you use a dual-banana-to-BNC as well.

Reply to
whit3rd

You can remove the spring from the mic connector and drill the opening out enough to remove the plating. Then take a single hole style BNC connector and file the threads down until it fits in the mic connector. Solder a wire onto the center of the BNC and feed it through the hole in the mic connector. Then solder the BNC into the back of the mic connector and solder the center contact. That's how I made mine. It avoids having to come up with an unusual size tap.

--
Jim Mueller wrongname@nospam.com

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with eggmen.
Then replace nospam with expressmail.  Lastly, replace com with dk.
Reply to
Jim Mueller

Except....A UHF connector is 5/8-24 pitch. The Amphenol button connector is 3/8-27 pitch. Unless you consider cross threading a feature, they are not compatible.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

I was holding both parts in hand and thinking about doing something like that, except my thought was to epoxy the BNC into the Mic connector. (of course making sure they fit tight so there is a good connection on the ground side).

There have been lots of great suggestions in this thread!

Reply to
tubeguy

Oh, then the 'easiest' solution I'm aware of is a pogo pin soldered in a BNC fitting, and a lathe-job threaded tube, 3/8-27 to 38-32, to mate the threads.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered 3/8-27, but I have taps for 3/8-24./ -26. /-32

Reply to
whit3rd

Is this about the connector depicted here at the top left of page M-6 ?

Reply to
whit3rd

Yes.

5/8-27 Industry standard.
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Lots of people who aren't machinists or who work with lamp fittings could easily think that a 1/8-27 straight pipe thread is 3/8-27. This is because 1/8-27 straight pipe thread has a major diameter of .394" to .390", which is only .019" to .015" over the major diameter of a

3/8 thread. And as sloppy as some threads are made, especially the threads on lamp fittings, the mistake is even easier to make. I have had more than one person ask me to either tap holes for 3/8-27 or if I knew where to buy a tap for that thread because they had no luck looking in catalogs or online for the elusive 3/8-27 tap. Eric
Reply to
etpm

CORRECTION The Amphenol button connector is 5/8-27 pitch.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Pogo pin???? What's that?

Reply to
tubeguy

Yes.

I would have been more descriptive in my original posting, but it seems there are numerous names for them, and not a standard "name". But most people seem to understand "vintage ONE pin MIC connector".

It seems a lot of people hate them, and want to replace all of them with BNC. Personally, I like those oldies. Sure it takes a few seconds longer to screw them on, but they worked well, and under normal use, they were not changed all that often. Plus, they were versatile, since they were both male and female, by using or removing the "ring". That alone was an ingenious invention.

I may be wrong, but I believe they were originally designed for microphone use, and later adapted for test gear connections. I can see why they were later replaced by modern microphone connectors, having 3 connections, since the microphones needed better shielding and impedance matching. But for use on test equip. they still work great.

The hardest part these days, is finding the connectors ends at a reasonable price. Someone always has them on ebay, but usually at ridiculous prices. From my understanding, they are no longer manufactured, so all that exist are NOS. Fortunately I was able to buy 3 of them awhile back at a fair price and they were new in the package. I now wish I had gotten a few more from the seller..... I think he had around 10 of them total.

Reply to
tubeguy

A two-piece (concentric cylinders) electrical contact. Think "piece of brass rod, slid into a brass tube, with a spring at the base".

See

for one example of how they're used. This is a JTAG connector with 8 pogo pins. It can be pressed down onto an 8-pad through-hole pattern on the board (preferable one populated with a machined-pin socket, although you could probably make it work just with plated-through holes).

is similar, for a SOIC pattern.

Reply to
Dave Platt