1936 Hoover Junior 375

I've done the 1940s ones, fairly straightforward. Roller brush bearing clea nout & oil, thorought electrical safety checks & cleanup, wash bag, new bel t on one, pad a stripped screw socket thread with a bit of card, new plugs

- think that's about it.

I've not started on the '36 yet, so am looking for any preliminary comments . The motor runs but is stiff, so will open that up. It has the original 19

30s bag which I absolutely do not want to see damaged - but it's filthy and I assume well clogged. IME cloth bags on old hoovers always need thorough washing, question is how I can do that without degrading the applied letter ing or bobbling the cloth? Handwashing in lukewarm water has some tendency to cause such damage.

There's also a much later junior with a seized motor. Other than that it wo rks great ;)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

eanout & oil, thorought electrical safety checks & cleanup, wash bag, new b elt on one, pad a stripped screw socket thread with a bit of card, new plug s - think that's about it.

ts. The motor runs but is stiff, so will open that up. It has the original

1930s bag which I absolutely do not want to see damaged - but it's filthy a nd I assume well clogged. IME cloth bags on old hoovers always need thoroug h washing, question is how I can do that without degrading the applied lett ering or bobbling the cloth? Handwashing in lukewarm water has some tendenc y to cause such damage.

works great ;)

Do you repair these for fun or profit? Searching for Hoover 375 I found some site called vacuumland.org. I assume you know it already.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

cleanout & oil, thorought electrical safety checks & cleanup, wash bag, new belt on one, pad a stripped screw socket thread with a bit of card, new pl ugs - think that's about it.

ents. The motor runs but is stiff, so will open that up. It has the origina l 1930s bag which I absolutely do not want to see damaged - but it's filthy and I assume well clogged. IME cloth bags on old hoovers always need thoro ugh washing, question is how I can do that without degrading the applied le ttering or bobbling the cloth? Handwashing in lukewarm water has some tende ncy to cause such damage.

t works great ;)

I saw the vintage section on there, limited info there though. Seen a few y outube vids too, nothing so far on repairing the motors.

I like a lot of old stuff, not just vacs. When people say 'you can't live i n a museum' I say 'why?' There seems to be some sort of belief that technol ogy has changed out of all recognition, that living with old tech is not pr actical. That ain't so at all in many areas. Half a century old is a bit mo dern for me.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On the safety front, no perished rubber sleeving/insulation ?

Reply to
N_Cook

cleanout & oil, thorought electrical safety checks & cleanup, wash bag, new belt on one, pad a stripped screw socket thread with a bit of card, new pl ugs - think that's about it.

ents.. The motor runs but is stiff, so will open that up. It has the origin al 1930s bag which I absolutely do not want to see damaged - but it's filth y and I assume well clogged. IME cloth bags on old hoovers always need thor ough washing, question is how I can do that without degrading the applied l ettering or bobbling the cloth? Handwashing in lukewarm water has some tend ency to cause such damage.

t works great ;)

Mechanically they're in worse shape than I expected, but electrically they' re fine. 2 have clearly had their leads replaced, rubber doesn't last forev er. The 119s even meet the criteria for double insulated appliances - don't know about the 30s one yet. It's original rubber lead is still serviceable .

What's it like to live with a 1940s 225watt vacuum cleaner? Well, I won't b e making any of these my daily machine. Compared to modern vacs the 119s ar e heavier & metal based, both of which increase the rolling friction signif icantly. As for suction, the 225W motor with its inefficient dirty airstrea m fan does the job ok. I think the beater bars are the key to that, a cleve r innovation. Emptying the bag can be messy if windy. The original instruct ions said first put down newspaper. I'll stick to emptying them outdoors di rect into a bin. I may try using paper bags with them to avoid the bags eve ntuallly clogging - not that I plan to use them much. They do the job but I 'd rather use the Dyson (currently getting repaired).

I've not tried using the handheld hose/wand yet, but everything I've heard & figured out tells me that on the hose they're terrible. 225W with no form of agitation - meh, the 1930s dustette beats that.

Old tech is an eyeopener sometimes. Besides often being ingenious, some of it can do things modern tech struggles to.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In my mind, if you can still repair/get parts for it, and it still does the job you require of it, why not? :)

--
 * SLMR 2.1a * DalekDOS I/O Err: (I)Obey (V)ision impaired (E)xterminate
Reply to

There are plenty of parts available for those Hoovers. For older stuff the usual thing is to repair the parts. It's far easier than it would be to do that on modern kit. And usually quicker than searching for & waiting for a replacement part.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

he

What is revealing is going over any given carpet, room or area rug with say ... a Kirby in excellent condition, then going over the same location immed iately thereafter with something like a TOL Dyson. For many years, we would keep the "new" vacuum at home and transplant the old one to our summer hou se. Until, 12 years ago, we got a Dyson.

As to R&M, I have replaced the filters, internal hoses and brush-bar on the Dyson - all in, about 20 minutes work and less than $75 for OEM Dyson part s. Otherwise, it has managed 4,800 square feet, two long-haired cats, a gol den and a Scottie without any trouble from purchase to-date.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

the

ay... a Kirby in excellent condition, then going over the same location imm ediately thereafter with something like a TOL Dyson. For many years, we wou ld keep the "new" vacuum at home and transplant the old one to our summer h ouse. Until, 12 years ago, we got a Dyson.

he Dyson - all in, about 20 minutes work and less than $75 for OEM Dyson pa rts. Otherwise, it has managed 4,800 square feet, two long-haired cats, a g olden and a Scottie without any trouble from purchase to-date.

I just did that comparison using first the dyson, then the ancient Hoover 1

  1. The Hoover did a better job. Methinks the Dyson is not feeling well. I don't yet know why: the hoses are all clear, the ball sucks great without t he cyclone on, the cyclone I washed out, the filters have been washed...

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 3:04:48 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

119. The Hoover did a better job. Methinks the Dyson is not feeling well. I don't yet know why: the hoses are all clear, the ball sucks great without the cyclone on, the cyclone I washed out, the filters have been washed...

There are two places where a Dyson will accumulate blockages that are not o bvious:

a) At the slip-joint between the ball and the wand. That will hang up and n ot transition properly, and sometimes form a tail of crud will extend half- way up the wand.

b) Between the knuckle-joint and the sweeper head. There is a nubby hose th ere that slips through the articulated head, then snaps onto the upright se ction. This will often split right at either end, the tear being invisible under normal use.

s=dyson+DC18+parts

The other weak spot is the brushes themselves. The ends will fill up with c rud and slow the spin way down. Not good. Clean everything out and make sur e the brushes spin freely. And if they are 10 or more years old, simply rep lace them.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

er 119. The Hoover did a better job. Methinks the Dyson is not feeling well . I don't yet know why: the hoses are all clear, the ball sucks great witho ut the cyclone on, the cyclone I washed out, the filters have been washed.. .

obvious:

not transition properly, and sometimes form a tail of crud will extend hal f-way up the wand.

there that slips through the articulated head, then snaps onto the upright section. This will often split right at either end, the tear being invisibl e under normal use.

rds=dyson+DC18+parts

crud and slow the spin way down. Not good. Clean everything out and make s ure the brushes spin freely. And if they are 10 or more years old, simply r eplace them.

Sorted! I think the main problem was a matchstick-like sliver of wood stuck in the first hose. Each time I unblocked it it quickly reblocked because o f that. I also cleaned out the compacted dirt in the brush roller assembly. Cheers.

We used the ancient Hoover 119 as a stopgap. Someone reckons it works bette r than the Dyson - they've not tried using the hose on it though lol.

It has no carbon bristles left, but the plastic ones are fine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, and Children of all ages:

That ancient Hoover may pick up everything in sight. Which is then redistri buted as microscopic (and often not so microscopic) dust particles througho ut the entire area. "Back in the day" a 5-micron filter bag was considered remarkable. Today, HEPA level filtration is the norm.

So, that Ancient Hoover may be the stuff of a Luddite's dreams - but in ter ms of actually catching and keeping the really nasty stuff (down to 0.3 mic rons) it is pretty wretched. And if a paper liner is used to 'modernize' it s efficiency, the cost of operation goes way beyond that of a modern device .

Note that Luddites were not against technology - just technology that rende red them obsolete.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

ributed as microscopic (and often not so microscopic) dust particles throug hout the entire area. "Back in the day" a 5-micron filter bag was considere d remarkable. Today, HEPA level filtration is the norm.

erms of actually catching and keeping the really nasty stuff (down to 0.3 m icrons) it is pretty wretched. And if a paper liner is used to 'modernize' its efficiency, the cost of operation goes way beyond that of a modern devi ce.

dered them obsolete.

Only partially true. In practice the tiny amount of dust isn't a problem. L ots of vacs still aren't hepa filtered.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr