Mystery BNC to BNC adaptor? Why and for who?

We've been going through great heaping bunches of connectors and adaptors that we have been offering on eBay via tinaja.

One mystifies me completely: It is a straight one inch long BNC male to BNC female adaptor.

Amphenol, no less.

It does not seem to contain a terminating resistor, series capacitor, or surge protector. It does not seem to come apart or have bulkhead potential.

Basically, it seems to be a one inch rigid cable extender.

Possibly if you had bunches of BNC panel jacks, extending some of them would make for easier or more obvious connections.

Others seem to be selling the same item.

To whom and for what?

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Called 'connector savers', sort of act like a condom. If damaged you just place the condom instead of the one attached to the panel.

Reply to
maxfoo

Or a sub nanosecond delay element.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

They do come in handy when you want to phase match cables and one is just a bit too short.

Reply to
maxfoo

I've seen series terminators (but you already checked, no resistor); could also be inductor filter (but either filter or terminator should be WELL marked).

If it's silver or gold plate, there are metrology uses for such. In critical measurements it might be required to recalibrate an instrument after

30 insertions to its sense terminal (and with condoms, you can get 900 cable-changes before you send the sensor to the calibration bench). I don't think this kind of purpose is served, usually, by nickel-plate connectors.
Reply to
whit3rd

Impedance converter, 50 to 75 ohms?

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

--
Sweep it; it might be a filter.
Reply to

It most certainly is... but as a feature, or as a design/manufacturing deficiency?

Reply to
cs_posting

My test experience has been that nickel or cadmium plate on the outside and gold plate where electrical contact is made is normal construction for connector savers.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller