N-connector to wire clip fixture?

Probably I'm not understanding correctly. But you can get N to BNC adapters, then use short BNC to spring-loaded clip-lead adapters. You also need a dual-female BNC barrel to mate the two BNC bits together.

While I don't know where we got these clip-leads, I do know that we have a ton of them at work. This setup is good up to HF for sure, and probably up to low VHF, as well.

If this sounds like it might meet your needs, I'll find out where we get them. I don't post at work, so it will be 24 hours or so. (I'm betting somebody else finds you a good solution before then, anyway.)

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Hello Folks,

Here is a frequent problem: There is a nice network analyzer that can double as an impedance analyzer because it has a bridge built in. For example the E5061A. Now you want to connect parts to it for analysis, usually in a production setting where things have to be sturdy, simple and repeatable. No adapters, no fixtures, just an N-connector. Fixtures from Agilent and others are only available for "real" impedance analyzers and LCR meters. They won't fit a network analyzer.

makes quite elaborate fixtures and I have inquired. But this would be a custom thing and most likely require NRE. There has got to be a source that has them off the shelf.

Is there a company that sells something? Best would be an N-plug with two push-button operated spring loaded clamps that can take wired parts, cables, even fragile cables. So it would need to be a very gentle spring load. No long wires as that messes up the accuracy. Any ideas?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

How about alligator clips soldered to an N plug. Keep the wires to about 1 inch. Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Well, if you have the N-plug, and are handy with solder and epoxy, there's these:

Or an N to BNC, and a Pomona BNC to banana jacks, then that. Also, did you know that in the Pomona BNC to bananas, the bananas are actually "5-way binding posts"?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Mac,

That is what clients use most of the time. If you need to measure impedances accurately down to a few degrees of phase angle they don't work. Even I as a pretty hardened RF guy was surprised when I replaced one of these with a very short soldered hook-up and saw the impedance analyzer display go from 45-j5 to 45-j1.

Thanks but I can't really use them in these cases. Most of the versions sold in the US are made by Pomona Electronics.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Tam,

That would be fine for engineering. In production that won't survive for any length of time. It's like a $10 pair of sneakers. They may be ok for around the house but run a marathon in them and they'll likely fall apart after 10 miles.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Rich,

The RS part will badly mangle any small wires, it's for huge speaker cables. So will the Pomona binding posts. Even a ZIF connector is too strong in these cases.

Also, in production you ideally want to use a part readily available as a whole from a manufacturer, not something home-brew that needs to go through the whole ECO rigamaroo.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg