New Amphenol Circa 1950s Microphone Connectors

I had to purchase of box of 25 of these connectors to make cables for some of my old Heathkit instruments. I am now selling off the excess.

Those of you who know what these things are will likely already know how difficult they are to find today, particularly in new condition.

During the 1950s through 1970s this was the connector used on most high impedance microphone and audio lines. It was also heavily employed on Heathkit test equipment, and even the CDV-700 geiger counter.

These connectors are so new that they almost sparkle, and if you are into vintage equipment, you likely will want some. This is the female connector that generally is attached to the cable, and mates with its male equivalent that is usually chassis mounted.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Geez, Harry, you could have saved youself a pile of money by buying
what you needed at Ken's Electronics:

http://www.kenselectronics.com/lists/micplug.htm

$3.90 each, and you're asking $10 each  _plus_ $5 for shipping?
Good luck...
Reply to
John Fields

Aw, cut him a break. He's just trying to recoup :-) .....Paul

PJ

John, read the ad again. The starting bid is $7.50 and shipping is FREE. This beats Ken's prices when you factor in the fact that postage is included and these are brand new Amhenol made connectors, not some offshore knock-off.

$10 is the Buy it Now price, and also includes FREE shipping.

How much does Ken charge for shipping, and is he selling actual Amphenol connectors or some cheap oriental made crap?

Sheesh...

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Thanks for posting that link PJ.

Clearly some people don't appreciate quality as much a number of the bidders on this item did. Also, take time to look at my eBay feedback, particularly from the buyers who have purchased from me.

Note that I also offer FREE postage on these top of the line connectors, unlike some sellers who are offering "Calrad" brand connectors (offshore crap) and want more for shipping than they do for the item itself.

When I absorb my packing, shipping, eBay fees, and Paypal fees, I am lucky to clear a profit of no more than $1.50 on each connector sold. Show me any eBay "Power Seller" who would be willing to operate on margins this tight!

I will go back and look at my eBay add again, because I have no idea where John got the idea that I was charging $5.00 for shipping, although their posting software sometimes screws up. At any rate, shipping on these connectors is FREE, and is shown as being FREE on their search summary and the ad itself.

The fact is that I was trying to be a good guy and offer these quality and difficult to find connectors to people in all parts of the USA, rather than simply marching them down to the MIT Ham Flea Market and selling them for $5.00 a pop + MA sales tax.

Just goes to show that in spite of excellent intentions, you can't please everyone. (Fortunately, I've a good record in pleasing those who have actually purchased every one of my items.)

Kindest regards, Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

John, in case you missed it...The last line of my eBay ad for the connector states:

"Individual connectors will be shipped in a padded envelope via USPS First Class Mail. Packing and shipping is included in your purchase price."

Since this statement evidently confused you into thinking I was charging and additional $5.00 on top of the $7.50 initial bid price, perhaps you can suggest how I might clarify it more?

Then too, don't you feel that and original Amphenol high impedance mike connector, at $7.50 including shipping offers far more value to the buyer than does a $3.00 Calrad connector with perhaps several dollars postage on top of the price?

John, based on your posts and helpfulness in the past, I gave you credit for being far more astute than this.

Kindest regards, Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

--
Oh, well...
Reply to

John, just out of curiousity I checked out Ken's website. Nice, but here's an interesting fact:

I'm charging $7.50 postpaid for the genuine Amphenol 75-MC1F connector.

Ken's price for an unidentified brand connector is $3.90, but his shipping charge is $3.95, bringing to total cost of the connector to $7.85.

At my outrageous eBay price of $7.50, I'm actually selling a real Amphenol product cheaper than Ken is selling an offshore knockoff!! :-) Such is life.

John, you run into some really strange correspondence when you sell on eBay. I recently sold off a batch of 25 new 829B tubes and matching sockets (which I imported from China 2 years ago). One potential buyer emailed me asking if the 829B could be run off a 9-volt battery, while another wanted to know if he could use it for an amplifier on his cell phone! I'm not kidding.

On another occasion, I rescued two unopened Infocom computer games from a pile of things going out for the trash since they were targeted to CPM machines. I figured that I might get $5 each for them...maybe. The two games combined actually brought in over $1,100 to my happy surprise! Unknown to me there are people who collect Infocom games, and these two particular games were evidently 'the pick of the litter'. You never know what to expect when selling something on eBay.

By the way, the 829B tubes and sockets all sold at the 'Buy It Now' price of $15, plus $8.00 for Priority Mail shipping. All of the buyers were extremely happy with their purchase...and posted glowing feedback. I made around $3.00 on each sale, so you don't get rich on this type of thing.

No bids on the Amphenol connectors yet, but there are over 20 people watching them so there is still hope! :-)

Kindest regards, Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314