Liability & responsibility of electrician?

as

NC's

of

From my past experience in industrial environments, it's 100% guaranteed that the electrician will wire the 3-phase feeds wrong. Either the phases will be out of sequence (motor spins backwards), or it'll be Delta instead of Wye, or wrong voltages, or something. It has absolutely nothing to do with how much specifying you try, it'll get hooked up wrong every single time.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Your name Shoppa or Lammeh? Just wondering, because that is a pretty lame outlook.

Reply to
life imitates life

as

NC's

of

Are we sure that the electrician was given the option or assignment to do a needs analysis?

Do we know that he wasn't given specs to meet before the machines were in place?

If he was asked to meet specs from a plan, is he really on the hook for the full needs analysis?

Reply to
Greegor

"Are we sure that the electrician was given the option or assignment to do a needs analysis?

Do we know that he wasn't given specs to meet before the machines were in place?

If he was asked to meet specs from a plan, is he really on the hook for the full needs analysis?"

It really isn't known if that actually caused the failure. If the equipment was new, there would have been instructions and customer support including things to look out for. What exactly failed? Capacitors can self-destruct without warning, a rectifier can short. How can we tell which came first? The equipment is used so there can be no guarantee. I bet you don't have measurements of the actual voltage at the time of installation. This has been a problem lately with a bank of 10 year old audio amps that have been self destructing with blown caps and charred power supplies. No indication of why.

Another controversy revolves around how thorough can an installation be before a customer goes to a lower bidder. Even landing men on the moon had elements of uncertainty.

But I would have measured the primary voltage if it were present. Lacking an installation manual, I would have at least looked for taps.

You can rent a chart recorder to see what the line voltage is doing over the course of a month. It may be a building management or electric company issue like a poor or missing neutral. It makes no sense to me that a 20% overvolt would have done any damage unless the equipment was on it's last legs.

Reply to
JB