Is it possible to open the Garmin nüvi and obtain a replacement lithium-ion battery?

Has anyone ever replaced the "nonreplaceable" lithium-ion battery in the Garmin nüvi 610 660 670 series?

If so, what lithium ion battery did you use and how did you open the nuvi up to remove the old battery?

I hadn't realized this until I started using my Garmin 610 660 670outside the car recently. The nuvi 670 battery only lasts a few minutes outside the car yet the Garmin technical support site says the battery is nonreplaceable.

I'm sure someone else has thought about trying to replace the battery so I'm looking for Garmin nüvi battery replacement procedure pointers if you have any.

Thanks. Kat

Reply to
Kat Rabun

Yes, there is nothing so special about the Garmin's battery besides the case kinda hard to crack open, and probably the size of batter (?). Other than that it's just like all other Lithium-ion except the higher price.

You may have to GOOGLE for it as it was reported here several times before, which means someone already have the question answered. No, I don't have the link to give you

If you are using in COLD weather then the battery may not last for few minutes (could be 5-30 mins depending on hold cold or cold wind)

Yes, someone DID and they already posted the step-by-step including PHOTOS of how and what the inside looks like. I never plan to open mine so O never read.

Reply to
Joel

I see the part number for a new Garmin nüvi 670 battery is 361-00019-02-1 which differs from that of other Garmin GPS units by the capacity (1500mah versus 1200mah for others such as the 361-00019-02, D25292-0000, etc.).

While I'm at it, I may as well look for a 2000mah replacement battery (if some capacity is good, more must be better) ...

Once I find the biggest capacity battery, I'll attempt cracking the case to replace it as per the reference tutorial at

Kat Rabun

Last place that I bought a replacement battery for my Garmin, it came with a set of case-prising tools and a miniature Torx driver thrown in. I got it from a fleaBay store. It was just a blister pack with all the bits to do the job, in there. The higher capacity battery was slightly fatter, so it was a bit more of a squeeze to get it into the case, but not too much trouble

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks. It looks like the two tools needed are a T4 or T5 Torx and a pry tool as shown in use in this video for the Garmin nuvi 650 (with flip-out antenna).

Plus, the music reminds me of Hogans' Heroes! :)

Reply to
Kat Rabun