Charging lithium ion battery?

My ageing smartphone (an HTC Touch Pro 2, running Windows Mobile 6) has suddenly developed the show-stopping fault of refusing to charge any of my five batteries. The smartphone itself is almost certainly faulty (I suspect an internal solder joint issue) but before I abandon it I want to try charging the batteries externally.

With my DMM I've identified the two (outer) contacts of the four that must be the 0 and +V terminals. They're reporting DC voltages of 3.7,

3.7, 3.6, 3.3 and zero respectively. So I could improvise a holder to get current into them.

What method should I use and what precautions should I take please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

Buy another one on eBay and use it for charging batteries? Or maybe there's somebody selling a combined phone/spare battery cradle? (I had one of those for my old Blackberry 8900.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Use a battery charger designbed for lithium ion cells: search your favourite online marketplace.

if you want to make something yurself you can get current limited buck converters for a few bucks that could be used with a 5v supply to charge these cells.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Thanks both. Went for the eBay option, and ordered a new TP2 this morning f

I've been using a program to backup everything daily to the TP2's SD card, so hopefully I will be able to transfer usage to the new device.

Drifting OT, I'd have gone for an iPhone, but the main reason for my origin al choice remains valid. My major app is Memory-Map. I use it on my PC and have a big investment in maps. Essentially, I use the TP2 as a GPS device f or walking, plus occasional phone and internet capabilities. Unfortunately the app under iOS, which I use on my iPad, is markedly inferior to the WM v ersion on the TP2. A continuing dilemma therefore.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
terrypingm