Is the Garmin nüvi 670 power mount compatible with the Garmin zumo 660?

Do you know if the Garmin zumo 660 power mount can interchange with the Garmin nüvi 670?

I was discussing GPS with a friend of mine a few thousand miles away who has a broken Garmin zumo 660 but a good power mount. My working Garmin nüvi

670 has always had the colored wires sticking out of the power mount fingernail-sized flat clip.

My friend offered to ship me his Garmin zumo 660 power adapter if it will fit the Garmin nüvi 670.

Pictures on the net and a visit to the store seem to indicate they look mighty similar - but who knows if the electronics are the same or not (I don't use the FM traffic feature).

Does anyone know if the Garmin zumo 660 & Garmin nüvi 670 use the same power adapter? How can I tell w/o destroying the equipment?

Reply to
Kat Rabun

Have you contacted Garmin?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Before I posted, I had already called Garmin technical product support at

800-800-1020 (913-397-8200) but they are closed on weekends (open Monday - Thursday: 6 AM - 4 PM, Friday 6 AM - 3 PM California time).

I had also emailed Garmin product support at " snipped-for-privacy@garmin.com" and am awaiting their response.

Prior to asking the question, I checked Garmin nüvi & zþmo support:

And, I had searched the overall Garmin support FAQs:

The Garmin nüvi 610/660/670 owners manual doesn't give specifications on the 12-volt adapter other than it's 12V at 10W maximum:

The Garmin zþmo 660 owners manual gives likewise succinct specifications of

12V, 10W, lithium-ion battery chemistry:

Looking at pictures of the two spade-like flat connectors seems to indicate they're similar ... but only someone who has both the Garmin nüvi 670 and the Garmin zþmo 660 would know for sure.

Reply to
Kat Rabun

(...)

Perhaps you should look at the photos again. The Zumo 660 mount:

doesn't look anything like the Nuvi 670 mount:

Note the contacts on the 660 mount.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Hi Jeff, Wow. I'm impressed with your thoroughness.

It was my mistake to say "mount". What I meant to say (after doublechecking what it's called) is "the 12V power adapter" (not the mount).

What is broken is just the flat thumbnail-sized "connector" on the end of the 12V adapter. That flat "connector" has two tabs on each side to lock it into the mount; it goes from the cigarette lighter to the suction mount.

The GPS itself does not connect to this flat thumbnail-sized connector.

So, as long as the thumbnail-connector is the same for the nuvi 6x0 and the zumo 6x0, I assume it won't matter which mount it goes into.

In this picture, the 12v adapter at bottom left is for the Garmin 6x0:

While looking for a picture of the zumo 660 12V adapter at the web site you suggested, I found what I needed to know:

In that URL, it says these 12v adapter cables are all compatible:

- nuvi 660 or 670

- zumo 550

- StreetPilot c550 or c530

Strangely, the zumo 660 isn't listed there.

This lookup implies there's more compatibility than one might assume!

- nüvi 650, 660, 670, 680, 750, 760, 770, 780, 755, 765, 775, 785, 850, or

880

- is compatible with the StreetPilot c550 or c580

It gets a bit more complex as per this lookup:

These 12V power cables are all compatible to the Garmin P/N 010-10747-03:

-nuvi 600 610 650 660 670 680 710 750 760 770

- Zumo 450 550

- StreetPilot C510 C530 C550 C580

Still, nothing yet on the zumo 660 ... but I'll keep looking.

Reply to
Kat Rabun

Finally I found a references for the Garmin nüvi 670 & the zþmo 660!

This cable doesn't have MSN Direct, but then I never use MSN Direct (does it actually do anything?).

Without MSN Direct, apparently the following 12v connectors are the same! Garmin nüvi 5000, Garmin nüvi 650, 660, 670, or 680 Garmin nüvi 710, 750, 755T, 760, 765T, or 770 Garmin nüvi 775T, 780, 785T, 850, 860, 880, or 885T Garmin StreetPilot c510, c530, c550, or c580 Garmin zþmo 400, 450, 500, 550, or 660.

The good news is that, with all your help, I finally found that the Garmin nüvi 670 and zþmo 660 do use the same 12 volt cigarette adapter cable!

Reply to
Kat Rabun

Kat Rabun wrote on Mar 28, 2010:

Couldn't you simply test this for yourself? First check if the power cable physically fits the socket on the mount, then measure the voltages on each pin to see if they're the same.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

The zumo power cable is thousands of miles away at my friend's home.

Garmin support contacted me.

They said the power cable is the same for the zumo as for the numi.

Thanks everyone!

Reply to
Kat Rabun