Charging 3.7V lithium-ion battery?

Using my Bluetooth-linked GPS unit with my iPAQ 2210 Pocket PC has the serious downside that the 1000 mAH lithium-ion battery runs out after

3 hours or so, nowhere near long enough for a day's walking/hiking.

I'm considering buying a higher capacity battery (3300 mAH) but that has the disadvantage that the 2210 would no longer fit its leather case. So an alternative I'd like to explore is using conventional (alkaline or NiMH) batteries. The lithium-ion battery is apparently

3.7V. The DC power unit plug that fits the cradle I use when at home reads 5.28V on my meter. So a 6V set of 4 AA or C or D cells are candidates, possibly with a diode in series. Has anyone tried this please? I'm assuming there's protective circuitry to maintain the appropriate voltage anyway. Presumably the lithium ion battery in place would get charged simultaneously? Safely?
--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

Terry, the "normal" voltage range of Lithium-Ion cells is 4v2 at full charge down to cutoff at typically 3v0. Oddly enough, three times what you'd sensibly attribute to a NiMH cell, 1v4 down to 1v0. I'd try three NiMh in a temporary configuration to see how it panned out.

As far as charging is concerned, any built-in charging won't match the proper regimes for NiMH. There are straightforward non-destructive ways to determine what the charger does. Altenratively, put two diodes in series with four cells and that way you get a better voltage match without any charging in-situ.

Reply to
rebel

I think that you are mis-understanding what Terry is asking. I think that what he is saying is that he would like to have a sort of 'battery belt' arrangement fabricated from dry cells or NiMH or whatever, totalling 6v, to effectively form a long duration 'field replacement' for the home-based mains power charger, and plugging into the GPS via the same plug as the home charger. If that is indeed what he is asking, then there should be no problem with this. It's basically the pedestrian equivalent of running it in the car, via a 12v car adapter, which I'm sure is probably available. In fact, this might be another possibility. Look to see if a car adapter is available (there's a good place in the UK called globalpositioningsystems.co.uk) and if so, you could hook it to a small 12v gel battery, that would be no heavier to carry around than a bunch of dry cells. That way, your GPS will be powered, and the internal battery will remain 'topped up'. I do a similar thing when I take my GPS out in the wife's car, the cradle being normally in my car.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks both, very helpful. An hour or so ago I had a recommendation to try this:

at ebay.uk "This battery extender is ideal for re-charging your iPAQ when you aren't able to access a mains or vehicle power supply. It takes 4 x AA batteries and will charge your iPAQ twice with rechargeable batteries and 3 - 4 times per set of alkaline batteries. It also has built in overcharge protection, so it stops when your iPAQ is fully charged."

Duly ordered!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to