Intermittent Fuse Blow When Philips TV is Plugged Into AC

Hi,

Philips TV model 27PT5441/37 ch L04.1UAA mfg 08/04

In my shop, this TV will blow the main fuse intermittently when the TV is plugged in (when the AC cord is plugged into an outlet) . NOTE: I don't have a SM. Most times, when the TV is plugged in, the fuse doesn't blow, and the TV can be turned on and everything is "fine". Note: I had replaced the fuse with a 4A slow blow type. I checked the degaussing coil thermistor cold resistance which measures 6.6 ohms.

Was this a common problem with this model TV? Was there a "fix" or modification to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

The degauss thermistor is probably bad. Also make sure the fuse is a "T" type (time delay)

John

Reply to
John-Del

mite want to check for leaking Electrolytic caps and or PS diodes in that same area.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

is the fuse open or blackened? Getting a useful answer to your problem depends on this information!.

anyway, try desoldering and removing the degauss posistor and disconnect/ reconnect the set a few times to test.So far, that is what I'd put my money on as the culprit. there is clearly some problem very near the mains inlet point, so suspect anything connected across the line - AC filters, degauss coil, possibly rectifier diodes and capacitors across them, etc.

-b.

I have seen a LOT of recent Philips TVs with bad degaussing thermistors. Eventually, they blow the fuse every time. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Yes, this chassis needs many modifications.

  1. Pull out the deguassing resistor (white round plastic) 3 leg, install any 2 pin deguassing that is designed for 4A fuse, I used either philip's blue ones or RCA termistors that was used in same modification as well (for ITC008 series).

  1. Snip out 2 carbon resistors (both same value, and are in series) side to side by the flyback, install jumper in it's place.

  2. Install modification kit (have to look up part number for this), to prevent horizontal driver circuit frying. Envidenced by blackened horizontal driver transformer. Only about 6 dollars per kit.
Reply to
Jason D.