How do you disconnect and reconnect a gas dryer ?

So i got a new dryer, my old one just up and quit, its 3 years old and the heat stopped working, i made sure my pilot was on in my furnace, and reset the breaker for the dryer, lint trap was cleaned and duct was

clear. so i didnt want to take the chance to spend 200 $ to get it fixed (those appliance repair men are sooo expensive) to have something

else break on me in a few months, soo... i just went out and bought a new one.

thing is i have my boyfriend who wants to change it out for me instead of paying 100 $ for the guy to come and take 1/2 hour to change it out,

but he scares me with his idea of installing training wheels on our daughters bike, =O, so that said, i want to either do it myself, or stand over him with step by step instructions, cant seem to find anything relative on the internet, if anyone has a site recommendation,

or the safety steps themselves, i'd greatly appreciate it, i know its pretty basic, turn the little nozzle off on the steel piping

and disconnect the little bendy wire hose, (haha excuse my female terminology) but is there anything else to it ? just seems too simple for the 100 $ charge from the professionals...

Thanks !

Reply to
WannaBeAHandyMom

Wrong group - unless it's computerized.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

It's really pretty easy, shut off the gas valve behind the dryer, unhook the flex hose and hook up a new dryer using a new flex hose, don't reuse the old one. Instructions will come with the flex, if unsure then have someone else do it, it's not worth a gas leak blowing up your house to save a few bucks.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yep, it's really that simple. I would add at least one safety precaution though... Be sure to get a small bottle of leak detection fluid for your type of gas (propane, butane/natural). After everything is hooked up, turn the gas valve on and apply the leak detector fluid around all the gas connections. If it shows ANY sign of bubbling, shut off the gas and tighten the fittings until there is absolutely no sign of bubbling. After you've eliminated all leaks, plug into the electric outlet and you're in business.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Reply to
DaveM

Why, it's probably got an electronic igniter. :)

But to the original poster, get a prefessional to do it if your friend can't install training wheels.

You don't want the house burning down.

Yes, it is simple but leaking gas isn't too good.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Agreed! Working with gas is hazardous in a way that electricity isn't. With electricity, at most you start a localized fire in the equipment you're working on. With gas, KABOOM!

Reply to
mc

do

no

I've seen some hardware/megamart/home center stores that have kits that include a new flexible pipe (ALWAYS use a new pipe, and make certain it is stainless or coated stainless), instructions, and some 'leak detection fluid' (basically just soap that is slightly diluted.)

You may even want to check your local city/town, as there could be laws requring certified installation and/or inspection. Even the gas company may connect it for free or a small charge. They don't want their customer's houses blowing up!!

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

This is a disaster waiting to happen. Spend the money and have a professional do it. If your house blows up after your boyfriend does it, not even your insurance will cover it.

Paul Want to Fix Something?

Instant download after purchase

Reply to
Mr Manuals

And then you blow up a 5 story building in Manhattan - and raise the value of your wife's inheritance!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Well, this is a tough question, with good points on both sides:

Pro--

  • Gas explosions are very rare.
  • It's hard to do this wrong-- You're basically screwing a flexible pipe onto the 3/4 inch pipe coming out of the dryer.
  • It's easy to check-- just smell, or better yet put a little soapy water over the connections.
  • Even if you cross-thread the connection, there's only 1/2 PSI behiund it, the leak will be very small. And wqith natural gas will mix readily with air and get diluted below the point it can burn or explode.

CON-

  • People are so good at goofing things up-- either cross-threading the connection, breaking the flexy bits, under-tightening, or overtightening. Better have this done by somebody that's done it before.

  • The downside can in rare cases be very bad. An enclosed room, a sizeable leak, a lot of time, then BOOM!

$100 sounds mighty high-- maybe find a neighborhood handyman?

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Or better yet, go to your local home improvement center and buy the solution made just for checking connections. It seems to be some kind of super bubble soap ... it blows big bubbles if you have a leak. Even tiny leaks blow huge bubbles.

And don't use bubble soap, it tends to corrode things.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger