Maytag Gas Dryer Repair?

I originally posted this question a couple of years ago, but the dryer was put in storage, and I never got to the repair. Now it's back again (long story), but unfortunately, I've lost all the responses with suggestions of what to check.

Anyway, I have an 18 year old Maytag gas dryer (model number DG 482 W) that has suddenly started to cycle on and off in roughly 30 second intervals. I don't think it's a heat buildup problem since it starts cycling immediately after it's turned on. I've checked the ducting, and everything is clear. The flame is a nice, bright blue.

Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

Reply to
Jim Stansell

I hope can be useful...

Good luck.

Reply to
peanutwhistle

Someone by the name "Jim Stansell" posted a while back:

Maybe those replies will help?

Reply to
peanutwhistle

A guess might be the ignitor circuit. Some monitor the current through the ignitor to make sure it is dissipating sufficient power before opening the gas valve. That current may have to be maintained while the valve is open (maybe the ignitor must always be on when the gas is on). It sounds like something is faking a flameout and the valve closes until something cools. I'm glad it fails shutting the gas than leaving it open!

Another great website:

It just helped me fix a gas oven, which may have a similar ignition circuit.

Good Luck,

Jim

Reply to
james.shedden

"Jim Stansell" bravely wrote to "All" (18 Aug 05 06:34:28) --- on the heady topic of "Maytag Gas Dryer Repair?"

Most automatic gas appliances have a flame monitor for safety. It is likely the one in your dryer may be dirty, obstructed, or defective and it is cycling the main burner. Some flame monitors are optical and some are pyroelectric, I don't know which type your dryer has, but check this out. Carefully use a small soft brush to clear away dust.

A*s*i*m*o*v

JS> From: Jim Stansell JS> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:340007

JS> I originally posted this question a couple of years ago, but the dryer JS> was put in storage, and I never got to the repair. Now it's back again JS> (long story), but unfortunately, I've lost all the responses with JS> suggestions of what to check.

JS> Anyway, I have an 18 year old Maytag gas dryer (model number DG 482 W) JS> that has suddenly started to cycle on and off in roughly 30 second JS> intervals. I don't think it's a heat buildup problem since it starts JS> cycling immediately after it's turned on. I've checked the ducting, JS> and everything is clear. The flame is a nice, bright blue.

JS> Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

... Wasted power is current squared times the resistance.

Reply to
Asimov