Mystery disconnect

I've currently got my Pi set up to use a powered USB hub which has the mouse, keyboard and a wifi dongle plugged into it. The Pi is running

24x7

I've noticed that on an irregular basis (sometimes twice a day, other times three days apart) it appears to disconnect from the hub, then reconnect again, the whole process taking 2-3 seconds.

Apr 3 15:40:29 ffoilpi1 kernel: [271188.525834] hub 1-1:1.0: port 3 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling... Apr 3 15:40:29 ffoilpi1 kernel: [271188.525878] usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, device number 5 Apr 3 15:40:29 ffoilpi1 kernel: [271188.525895] usb 1-1.3.1: USB disconnect, device number 6 Apr 3 15:40:29 ffoilpi1 kernel: [271188.548387] usb 1-1.3.2: USB disconnect, device number 9 Apr 3 15:40:29 ffoilpi1 kernel: [271188.550372] usb 1-1.3.4: USB disconnect, device number 8

Taken from an old log file, but the current ones are pretty much the same.

Any suggestions as to what is happening ? Is this likely to be a "Pi issue" or a "hub issue" ?

The other USB connector on the Pi is connected to a disc drive (when it was run via the hub, it didn't remount when the USB sorted itself out).

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Noise (apparently mobile phones can cause this) causes a glitch on one of the hub ports, the hub disables the port, Linux detects this and reinitialises the hub. Or something like that.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Also sometimes switching lights on and off (here, at least different 2 fluorescent strips can cause a USB disconn/reconn). Happens on "real" computers too so it's not a Pi issue alone.

If you want to track down the source you will have to try and figure out exactly what you were doing at 15:40:29 ... :)

Or write a script to follow the end of /var/log/syslog, looking for a line with "disabled by hub" in it, and use the presence of that line to make the PI make a noise. Then wait ...

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

Thanks for the replies.

I'd been thinking about the noise issue (it was my first thought), but the times don't seem to stick to a pattern that I can work out. Some happen when I'm at work, others not.

As for making a noise, it is coupled up to the TV, so (as I understand it), unless I've got the TV on the HDMI input, I won't hear it. Nice idea though.

Adrian