CPC Disconnect

I see a phone answering machine on Ebay, maybe 10 or 15 years old, and it has "CPC Disconnect". I googled and learned that was Calling Party Control Disconnect.

All of the google hits I can find involve fancy local phone systems with devices that cost 70 dollars or more, and they just say their device provides it. They assume people already know they want it.

I can't figure out what CPC Disconnect is. Especially as it pertains to a simple residential line.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

From the online glossary at:

The answering machine can detect calling party hangups and react accordingly.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Thanks. This feature is fine, and pretty common. Now I know I can get the machine I was looking at online and not get stuck with a feature I hate.

And thanks again because I diddn't find that page.

P&M becaues it's been serveral days.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

So after you explained what CPC was, see below, I bought the 20 year old phone machine off of Ebay, and it had 3 CPC settings.

Off to have the System disconnect by voice-control Short to have the System disconnect from the line when the caller hangs up, and Long, which is like short but for people with Call Waiting.

The machine that I had that I liked, by the same company Code-a-Phone, didn't have any settigns for this, and it worked fine, even though I have call waiting.

So far I'm very happy with my machine. I had two or three in a row, counting my own, that would answer the phone and play the message, and would record a memo etc. if I pushed the right button, but wouldn't switch from playing the announcement to recording the message. And I had one from a friend that smelled like smoke when I turned it on, so I unplugged it and took off the case, and I could see the smoke, and with my finger find the hot part, a little coil, but I didn't think that was enough to find the problem. So this is my 4th or 5th code-a-phone machine.

It has a few other added features that the one I bought 23 years ago didn't have.

Thanks aga>>