HDD Noise, then Failure (no longer can access)

Hi,

This is the third time in 5 years that one of my HDDs failed. This time, my desktop computer was on for about 4 hrs, and there was a lot of disk activity (read & writes). All of a sudden, I heard a noise (hard to describe, perhaps a "zing" type of sound). Afterwards, I wasn't able to access the HDD anymore.

I assume this is a mechanical problem such as head touched the platter or other? Note: The computer wasn't bumped. This is a Quantum "Fireball" 5.1G HDD. Is it at all possible, a fault in the controller could have created this noise?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

I'd guess something in the servo circuit for the head actuator failed and the head slammed all the way to one side. Either the head can't read where it is on the disk or the control electronics don't realize it so the head mechanism is being pushed solid due to no feedback. Either way the drive is shot, unless you have some very important data on it then it's not worth messing with.

Reply to
James Sweet