Furby repair

If you think you're a real technician, just wait until a little girl brings you her dead Furby she loves and begs you to resurrect him/her/it.

30 years of military and civilian electronics repair experience is no match for a dead Furby.

After considerable research into Furby electro-mechanics, I discovered an intermittent limit switch in the flambastic transwobulator had sent negative vibrations to the transwobulator's flabillitator in such a way that further transwobulation was impossible as it put the transwobulator into a state very simular to a human coma.

A couple of strokes of my relay contact burnisher and a tiny squirt of magic WD-40 brought Furby back from the grave, much to the delight of his owner, who now thinks I have more magic powers than any religious leader in the Universe....(c;]

I'm terrified more dead Furbys will materialize at the hands of crying little girls who are born to wrap 65 year old electronics technicians around their little fingers......Failure is not an option!

Absolutely nothing I ever repaired, calibrated or overhauled has been anywhere near as rewarding at that dead Furby.

(Service hint - Mommy does NOT know what batteries in the drawer are dead and which ones are good, even though she thinks they are "new".)

Reply to
Fred

Fred wrote in news:Xns9E7914BC8AA73nobodyhomecom@74.209.131.13:

Additional service hint - Furby's skin comes off like a t-shirt once you cut the tywrap from around his bottom groove. Don't forget to replace his tywrap upon successful completion because "we don't want anyone to see him naked."....her words...(c;]

Reply to
Fred

The old "Worlds of Wonder" animated toys (Teddy Ruxpin, Snoopy, Goofy, Mickey Mouse, etc.) make Furby's look like a walk in the park. While fixing them is possible, doing so in a cosmetically acceptable way is the tough part!

(I "collect" them and "repurpose" them which means "guts transplants")

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Good on ya, and thanks for sharing that story, nicely done.

BTW, DeoxIt products by Caig Labs (even available at that Shack store) are the ideal products for most of the low voltage switch contacts that anyone is likely to encounter.

I prefer no to flood switching devices, but instead, apply the DeoxIT only to the contacts when possible. I transfer spray DeoxIt into small poly bottles that have "one drop" tips (such as eye drops/Visine) then fit the tip with a needle (sharp point into the bottle, not exposed) to use as a precise applicator. After drilling/making a tiny hole in the hard cap, it can be installed for a little more needle-tip stability.

Anglers may be familiar with small needle-tipped bottles that are used to inject air into nightcrawlers to make them float/not drop to the bottom. The tips are sharp, but were easily pulled out and inserted back into the bottle tip with sharp point inward.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Fred, 1st you mention a "little girl" and "she"...then you say "his" owner?

Reply to
Bob Villa

It also sounds like you're more of a mechanic than a etech on this one. ;-)

Reply to
Bob Villa

I see no inconsistencies.

"little girl" and the first instance of "she" would refer to the child who owns the toy.

"his" would refer back to the Furby itself, anthropomorphizing it in the male gender. So yes, "his owner" meaning the Furby's owner, again meaning the little girl.

The second instance of "she" would refer to the Mommy with the drawer of batteries.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

ing

Excuse my lapse of consciousness.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Bob Villa wrote in news:3066f71c-6626-4f5c-a623- snipped-for-privacy@o9g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

It assumes Furby is a boy.

Sorry if that offends you.

Reply to
Fred

Steve Kraus wrote in news:SYGdnZj1e5w_yN3QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I'm a newbie here. Didn't know each post came with an English professor....(c;]

Reply to
Fred

Bob Villa wrote in news:cb763523-6665-4117-a226- snipped-for-privacy@v31g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

Actually, my specialty is metrology. My last serious job, before moving on to the electronic organ/keyboard business in the late 1980's, was as a GS-11 Electronic Technician at the Charleston Naval Shipyard's Metrology Laboratory.

Since 1964, when I joined the Navy to avoid being murdered for the military contractors profits in Vietnam, I've been in military electronics most of the time. In 1977-79, I spent 2.5 years building a metrology laboratory at Iranian Air Force Headquarters, Tehran for a US contractor. I've been back to the MidEast many times for our military and others.

Think I can qualify as an electronics technician? I taught them at Sumter Area Technical College, Sumter, SC, for 7 years from '71 to '78. Great fun if you don't need money to live on.

Reply to
Fred

=A0

I didn't say you weren't qualified...I was rating the specific repair ability required. You need not get your leotards in a bunch.

Reply to
Bob Villa

aoliphant had written this in response to

: I saw this online after my prized possession..white furby has been chewed up by my dog. :(

I've had him for 13 years and I can't handle him RIP. He needs a transplant. He still works, just my dog ate the eyes out and broke some of the plastic parts around it.

Any suggestions? Would you care to be the donor? haha

D Yuniskis wrote:

Electronics Enthusiasts' Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - sci.electronics.repair - 55637 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
aoliphant