DTV Pal running slow

Upgradeable firmware for the STB? I think we're confusing two different product here; the STB and the DVR.

Reply to
Mike S.

I think ya got it backward:

The DTVPal is equivalent to TR-40; just a ATSC converter.

the DTVPal DVR -- a.k.a. TR-50 -- is a ATSC converter and DVR rolled into one.

--
John English
Reply to

There is another acronym.

PAL = Pure Aesthetic Loveliness.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And how do you justify that statement ?

We were broadcasting TV in Britain quite some time before WW2 sonny.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I assume he meant your cable provider's clock is off, not the programme providers themselves.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

This is wrong for several reasons.

First, NTSC originally incorporated phase alternation, but it was dropped because (in the early '50s) there was no easy way to take advantage of its advantages. (I have the issue of Electronics magazine to prove this. The earliest NTSC proposals also used equal-bandwidth R & B primaries. In short, NTSC was basically PAL.)

Phase alternation was also dropped because the US microwave transmission had excellent group-delay characteristics, which European transmission did not. So phase-alternation's ability to automatically compensate for hue errors (caused by non-linear group delay) -- at the cost of desaturation -- was not much of an advantage.

Strictly speaking, NTSC is "better" than PAL because it provides wider color bandwidth. The systems are pretty "Tweedle-Dum" and "Tweedle-Dee". They are slightly different ways of doing exactly the same thing.

The reason NTSC too-often didn't look very good was simply lack of concern.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I thought the audio carrier frequency was lower with NTSC than PAL, giving PAL a larger video bandwidth.

Yup NTSC's audio carrier is 1.5MHz lower acc to Wikipedia. Plus PAL had 100 more lines. That's probably where the bandwidth went.

Then wasn't there a 'PAL + ' that recovered video above the audio signal. Never knew how far that got. Not sure what to make of this.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not in colour ;)

IIRC, QE2's coronation (1953) was the first colour TV broadcast.

Reply to
Nobody

I have no cable service. This is all over-the-air reception (DTV) in the USA.

The stb (set-top-box) converter (DTV-to-NTSC analog) apparently receives time code from one or more of the local DTV broadcast stations and synchronizes its clock to the station's. Something in this process is broken. Either the broadcaster's time info is not being collected properly, or the stb's' clock is not being synchronized.

Hence my questions.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net

No, but we were well ahead.

I doubt that myself. I recall my Dad buying one of the new dual standard UHF

625 line sets plus the original VHF 405 line in the mid 60s just in time to see the Apollo landings on BBC2 on 625 line. That was in B&W. There was a selector switch for 405 / 625 ( VHF / UHF ) on the front and each had 4 channel presets available. I 'adopted' that ( tubed ) set once we got a transistorised colour one and kept it for years.

I think Colour came to the UK on the UHF 625 line standard in the late 60s. I recall seeing 'Cream' playing their last concert at the Albert Hall in colour on BBC2 as a 15 year old IIRC and that would be 1969.

It took a long time for the commercial stations to catch up.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Well someone goofed. I'd say look for a RTC crystal (32.7khz thingy). If not there then they are using the main processor clock. It could be just that the parallel crystal caps are the wrong value, or the crystal is a cheap cut. Experiment, make a oven and keep a constant temp, does it loose time?

The programmer forgot to resync the clock from time to time.

Martin Riddle

The color gamut of NTSC is wider than PAL. The frame rate of system M provides visibly better motion rendition (at least to someone who has been watching system M for years, 50 Hz systems are much poorer at rendering motion). The phase errors that motivated the creation of PAL basically ceased to exist in the early '70s when solid state electronics became stable enough to hold phase without visible errors.

In black and white. In fact, black and white broadcasts were occuring in the U.S. before WW2 as well.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Or PAL = Peace At Last.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

A reply from the manufacturer's support department confirms that no f/w upgrades are available for the STB. Only the DVR model is supported for f/w upgrades.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

Except the original poster referred to using it for recording, so it was obvious that he was just shortening the name of the DTVPal DVR. It was another poster who didn't understand that and mentioned the TR-40.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

It's a TR-40, just a converter.

I'm using a computer to do the DV recording.

Dave (the OP).

--
John English
Reply to