Terrible DTV converter box

Back a few years ago when we had to switch to digital Tv, the Channel Master CM-7000 was rated at the top of the consumer reports. I bought one. It turned out to be the biggest lemon of all electronics I've ever bought. As soon as I got it, it had these either sloppy, or over sensitive switches on the front of the box. If I was watching channel

6.1 and wanted to go to 6.2, pushing the channel UP botton would almost always go to ch 8.1 or 10.2. The on off button worked the same way. You'd push it to then it off, and it would go off and come right back on.

Eventually this cheap plastic lever that pushes the actual on-off switch broke, leaving no way to turn it on or off. I had to open the case to turn it on using a screwdriver against the actual switch, and always leave it on or unplug it. I finally put it on a power strip so I could turn it off with the p-strip.

Well, earlier in the week I turned it off, and instead of going into standby more, it completely shut off.

It works like this: Green Led is ON Yellow Led is Standby Red Led is Off

The only time I saw the red led was when I first turned on the power, and only for a few seconds. The other day it was on, with yellow led, then it went to red. It stayed red for a half hour or so, then suddenly the light turned green and the tv had a program. Yesterday I turned on the p-strip and the led stayed red. I shut it back off, then on again, several times. Now it appears to just have gone permanently dead. I get that red light and nothing more. Its been that way for 10 or 11 hours now. I opened the case, there are no burnt parts or bulged caps. I tapped on and flexed the board, but it appears to have died.

In some ways, I'm almost glad this miserable thing is gone, but I'm not used to being without tv. I guess I'll have to buy another converter today, but it wont be a Channel Master. Actually I have another one, a RCA, but there is no remote for it, so I cant program it.

As far as design, I think all these converter boxes were cheaply made to be sold cheap on those govt. coupons, but this CM-7000, was the worst of them. I had used the coupons for some elderly relatives and bought them some other brand converters at that time, because there was a shortage of many of the most popular ones. I installed their converters for them, and they still work today. So, in the end, the top most rated converter turned out to be the worst one. The cheaper ones still work.

So much for consumer reports!!!

Reply to
piper

Sorry to hear that hadn't heard that they were long ago co-opted by the manufacturers' groups.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

My wife once got trapped into subscribing for a digital decoder from the cable company. On the leaflet its said it would take 1 or 2 hours to install. Needless to say I returned it unused. We did had to pay extra for one year but after that I cancelled the entire subscription.

Download utorrent and watch from your PC. You already pay for what you watch by buying groceries. Don't forget the TV stations get funded by the commercials.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:20:02 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

In Europe just buy a satellite dish. I have hundreds of FTA movies, thousand of radio stations. Some even in HD these days. Free to air sat boxes are cheap, on some you can record to the PC harddisk via USB or ethernet, some even have a build in harddisk. so timeshift if you like. Get a motorized dish, that will multiply the number of channels...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I kinda doubt that...

But it's a fair bet that anyone who reads this group is going to be rather pickier about their electronics that the people who test things at Consumer Reports. Many people don't realize that things like overly-sensitive (or not-sensitive-enough or slow to respond or...) buttons are things that are entirely under the designer's control...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

the

Mmmmm. Maybe more like under management and bean counter cost control?

?-|

Reply to
josephkk