deskjet not grabbing paper- anyone solved this before?

hi ppl, examining the printer paper feed operation with rear cover off (19Kb) i can see paper is not being grabbed. it doesnt appear to be a dry rubber problem. more of the paper is being stopped by tabs (green arrows) and rolling bushes (red arrows).

any ideas on what could be wrong? i have just bought new ink cartridges so i would like to keep this printer. thanks

xamman

Normally the solution is to clean the draw rollers that pull the paper into the printer. I believe that HP suggests you use a cloth dampened with soapy water (dish soap works fine) to clean the rollers. I have also used alcohol to do this. On my printer you hold the dampened cloth so that it touches the roller and depress the form feed button on the printer. Stop when the roller completes a 360 degree cycle and do it to all the rollers. Also make sure you do not have too little or too much paper in the paper tray.

Reply to
Ken

Seems to be a common problem with Oki lasers. Any suggestions for 'softeners' for the rubber rollers?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

i dont think it is a dirty roller as the rollers dont even get to touch the paper. i could try putting more paper into the paper tray to see what happens

Reply to
xamman

Oh, I thought it was simply slipping. I believe that part of the paper tray is lifted during a feed operation. See if there is an obstruction at the point where the paper tray meets the printer or make sure the tray is inserted fully. Not sure however???

Reply to
Ken

i tried adding more paper. now at 1cm of paper in tray the printer grabs a sheet each time.

i closed the rear (as otherwise the paper would just be ejected out the back) and did some test prints. however i am noticing each page is emerging with the front end bent at the right (photo 13kb below) . what does this suggest to you?

thx

Reply to
xamman

From the picture, the paper feed rollers look quite worn !

My standard method for improving the pickup is to clean the rollers with a damp cloth and a spot of detergent. If that doesn't improve things, gently abrade the rubber with a nail board. Also if you look carefully you will see a cam that lifts the paper tray. Lack of lubrication causes severe wear. The effect is that you need to put more paper in the tray so that it is lifted up high enough for the feed rollers to grab. Use white grease for plastic on the surface of the cam.

HTH

--
Baron:
Reply to

Baron has as good a suggestion as I could give. Look carefully at the paper tray, particularly the part that lifts. Also look at the rollers and see if there is any obstruction. Most of the time you can find some reason for a sheet feed failure, but you could be working with worn parts?

Reply to
Ken