Crimp connectors as IDC ?

Is it acceptable practice? Kustom KPM6160A mixer amp from 1997 with intermittant crackles and sometimes loss of sound, waggling the interboard ribbon leads produces these symptoms.

The .156in spacing Harwin/Molex/ Amp/Tyco connectors for power are fine , 2 sets of crimp pairs , one crimped around the conductors and one crimped around the sleeving. But the .1 ins spacing ones have single crimp pairs which are crimped around unstripped insulation and relying on the returned ends piercing through the insulation into the conductors.

N Cook

The fact that they are giving trouble answers your question. Is there any satisfactory way of hard wiring it?

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

sometimes

symptoms.

, 2

around

the

I pulled the wires out, very easily and cleanly, cut the ends off , solder blobs on the pins and the recut wires and soldered together. Some "hot-melt string" melted over the joins for some mechanical bonding to the shroud. I looked closer to the crimps and the returned ends are curled over where they pierced the insulation. The interconnect in the mixer section , .1 ins spacing was properly crimped, so just the ones between mixer and ps and ps to amp were bodged.

N Cook

I have very little faith in idc`s anyway, I have one of those Neutrik stageboxes which is all idc. Great idea, but it`s a waste of space, I eventually had to solder all the connections to keep it reliable.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

That's how it's done. :) Look at all the computer IDE, floppy, SCSI cables. Or am I misunderstanding the question?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

As I understood him, he meant that the _insulation grip_ part of the connector had been forced into and through the insulating outer to hopefully make contact with the conductor within. In other words the 'tangs' which crimp the connector to the wire also serve as the contact points. I've seen this quite a few times in examples of 'Chinese Junk' Not good practise IMO Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

sometimes

symptoms.

, 2

around

the

is

in the

Instead of 2 sets of crimp points - one for the sleeving and one for the conductors. These ones had one pair and instead of stripping back the insulation and crimping to the wires, they had not stripped back and crimped hoping the returned ends of the crimp tangs would make contact with the strands.

Often seen with those small crocodile connector, jump leads, that you get in packs of 10 , 2 of each colour. I long since learnt with them is, when you buy them, the first thing to do is you pull back each croc and solder the wire to the croc.

N Cook

OK, in that case I agree. :) Proper IDC connectors are very carefully designed. You don't get realiable connections by accident!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I bought a 100 genuine Mueller Electric type 60 alligator clips in the early '70s, and still haven't used half of them. I still have some ne type 62 insulators in red and black, too.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida