IDC ribbon cable connectors

What's the proper amount of force to use, to assemble an IDC ribbon cable connector? Specifically, a 3M 3000-series connector, 20 position, using 3M .050" cable.

I've been hunting for info on 3M's web site but can't find anything about assembly. I don't do enough of these things to justify spending $500+ for their assembly press, and even if I did I'd still want to know how much force to apply...

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
Walter Harley

That sounds like an ordinary IDC connector. You just apply force until it closes up. ;-)

I don't know exactly the force, but a vice/vise or a small arbor press or a small hydraulic press (overkill) will easily do it. Maybe a couple hundred pounds. For a small number of pieces, a Record vise/vice with hard plastic jaws works really well, and you don't have to fool with making something to spread the force.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Bennett

We have an "official" press at work - it is just a simple hand-operated device - no pressure gauges or anything to ensure you use the "right" pressure, but not too much. Just press until the connector latches.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Bennett

The crimper here:

is handy for onsie-twosie crimping. We've got one at work for the occasional ad hoc cable and I use one at home as well. A small vice works however a vice is harder to use for a crimp in the middle of a cable. Lots of other places carry the same gadget for more-or-less the same price, so shop around.

It's possible to use ordinary slip joint pliers but the jaws won't be parallel and the teeth make a mess of the plastic. In a pinch (no pun intended) buffer the jaws of the pliers with some strips of cardboard or duct tape or similar and work from alternating sides.

At any rate, as Spehro noted it's only necessary to squeeze until it's crimped. Most IDC connectors have a mechanical stop -- the plastic shoulders come together -- where the crimp is completed. It should be noted that it is possible to continue to apply additional force after the connector has gone together. This typically results in a snapping sound followed by small pieces of plastic flying in various directions around the room. Not that *I've* ever done this, of course ... ;-)

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

DIP headers are harder than the typical female IDC connectors. You need something that will push on the body without squashing the pins and without cracking Inexpensive production sockets are sometimes not that thing which you need. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I use a small drill press vise that I bought new for less than $5 (US)

I have an arbor press that will work, but it's easier to see what I'm doing with the small, smooth jaw vise.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Several small pieces of perf board.

The force is usually more right at the start when the terminals are cutting through the insulation. It seems to plateau or decrease when you get to the point where the copper is getting squished between the tines of the terminal.

If the OP can switch to header connectors, he'll find them a whole lot more durable than DIP plugs.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Good. Sounds like I have appropriate tooling on hand :-)

Reply to
Walter Harley

It's nice that you mention Jameco, because in addition to that crimper they consistently sell the IDC connectors and ribbon at the best prices I've been able to find, in low quantities. Lot of the other shops will rip you off if you're not buying 100+.

Reply to
cbm5