0.025" (0.635mm) cable/IDC connectors- reliability?

Hi,

Any info on reliability and ruggedness of 0.025" pitch flat cable and associated IDC connectors (0.05 x 0.05") compared to 2.0mm x 2.0mm (with 1.0mm pitch flat cable)?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

Hey Speff: We use them on our F18 module for analog signals and power to the insturmentation inside a windtunnel They haven't seemed to mind the vibration, or temperature spikes ( we can pressurize the test section to over 200psi, this causes a big spike, then at shutdown there is a big dip in temp), or the repeated connecting disconnecting. For stress reliefs we used hot melt glue, makes a big difference. Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

How so? The specs don't look that much different to me (other than the fact the unbalanced Z is a bit high for my circuit on the some of the

2mm stuff (and perhaps more variable between suppliers), and Z right on or a bit low is much better).

Z0, C/ft, L/ft, and propagation delay are all within 10-20% of each other under the same conditions.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, at 133Mhz, infinitely better.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hey, no problem. I was just about to ask if it was actually that fancy

50-ohm micro-coax you were referring to (with AWG38 inner conductors). Let's say it was.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Oh dear. Please ignore me. I was having a particularly stupid moment, and misread IDC for IDE, and somehow further on the difference between 80 and 40 conductor cables. I blame the drink. Well, I'd like to, if I'd had any.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Many years ago I used 0.025" pitch, 14 wire ribbon on new instrument module. This module was particularly temperamental (1fA electrometer) and we had to frequently remove, clean and handle them. The connector never failed. We used the proper tool to install it. Much later I discovered that the wire in the ribbon was sold gauge.

--
    Boris Mohar

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Reply to
Boris Mohar

I have used the ODU range of 0.025" IDCs in a small way, and they are an absolute bugger to close up accurately. If they survive this process, they seem rugged enough- there's one plugged very frequently just by me, it's on my MSP430 serial programmer.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke