Mixer as freuency doubler

I=92ve got a mixer from mini-circuits (SBL-3). I=92m using it as a doubler. (RF and LO driven from the same source.) I get some serious asymmetry in the output. at higher frequencies. (The amplitude of adjacent peaks differ by ~25%.)

Is this most likely a layout issue on my part, or inherent in the mixer?

I=92ve got an old HP mixer (10534A) that shows similar behavior, but to a lesser extent.

Thanks,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Wed, 11 Jul 2012 07:56:38 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Double phase rectifiers (transformer with tap and 2 diodes) make great frequency doublers.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Have you taken into account that usually the LO port needs a higher signal level than the signal port.

A diode ring mixer is intended to be a LO-controlled signal polarity switcher, which will work as a full-wave rectifier in the frequency doubling case.

For cleaner doubling, you'll need an analog four-quadrant multiplier, e.g. a Gilbert cell.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

It may also be skewed due to same frequency and phase on both ports produces a DC term. ...Jim Thompson

Am 11.07.2012 16:56, schrieb George Herold:

That's feedthrough of the input frequeny. I happened to do the same thing last week and it looked the same. (TUF-1) It's probably inbalance. I wanted to get better doubling efficiency than -13 dB, but didn't succeed. It works somewhat better if I hit the Mixer with tot. 13 dBm, Funny enough, the feedthrough gets better when I maximize the input power.

You'll have to filter the fundamental away. By the way I just saw that the asymmetry is MUCH worse when the scope input is on 1 Meg instead of 50R.

less than ideal setup:

scope screen:

spectrum output of ring mixer if hit with +10 dBm@50 MHz:

hope that works. I have not used bilder-space b4.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Mini-Circuits will sell you a proper frequency doubler for about the same price.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What everyone else said (particularly John's comment about Mini-Circuits selling you a real frequency doubler), plus the fact that you'll do best if the LO and RF ports are 90 degrees out of phase -- otherwise you're just doing synchronous rectification of the signal, which does have bumps at 2*f, but not as good as with the phase shift.

One transformer, two matched diodes, just the right drive level -- ahh, perfect doubling.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Am 11.07.2012 22:34, schrieb Tim Wescott:

Completely correct. I use the ring mixer only because it is already in the system and adding another part type would add ??? for radiation and vacuum tests. :-(

John, today I saw these laser drivers made by AD:

ADN2525, 2526, 2531.

They are CML-like, switching 80 mA in 25 ps with +-1V compliance around VCC. Should make nice pulses. I'll try that.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Thanks Tauno... I've got some analog multipliers, nice chips, but no high frequencies.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

.
0R.

OK Gerhard, Thanks. I thought it might also be a non-symmetery between the channels. When I use the mixer in a more traditional mode, I get something that look like ringing artifacts on each channel... I'll take some screen shots. Hmm a quick look on the 'scope and I don't see it now..

Thanks again,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ler.

?

Really? That's neat... so the velocity in coax is ~1/3 of c? wavlength at ~100MHz is only a meter... so 1/4 meter path length difference? Cool thanks, I've gotta stitch some coax together and try it!

OK Jan, John L. and Tim W. all agree one transformer...Say I could just break open the mini-circuits mixer and take the parts from there. (maybe)

George H.

ttdesign.com

Reply to
George Herold

Oh this is just a quick 'one of'. I want to extend the range of a signal generator by a bit. It goes to ~150MHz and I'd like something nearer to 200MHz.

George H.

ed text -

Reply to
George Herold

Old service shop grade signal generators produced harmonics, and often had a scale for the second harmonic of the highest band. Another trick is to use a fixed oscillator to mix against, to get another range of frequencies.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

AFAIK the slowest you'll get in ordinary coax is 70% or maybe 65% velocity factor. If you know the type of coax you can check the data sheet. If not -- experiment. 1/4 wavelength should invert the end impedance -- an open will look like a short, a short will look like an open.

You can _try_, but Mini-Circuits really, really puts the "Mini" in their product.

Depending on how broad-band you need to be, a resonant LC may very well provide what you want.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

A single schottky diode, series or shunt, can generate harmonics.

The Boff Diode, since renamed Step Recovery Diode, was discovered by accident during test of a single-diode multiplier.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

More like 2/3 of c, assuming polyethylene dielectric.

1/sqrt(e), where e is the relative permittivity.
                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

What's interesting is to make a transmission line out of something with high e, like in the thousands. Coaxial ceramic resonators, for instance.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

th

,

e quoted text -

Hey Tim this 90 degree trick works great. (I guess you knew that :^)

Here=92s the doubler with four feet of extra coax in one arm. (That works out to something like 2.4E8 m/s (at 50MHz.)

and the FFT

I tweaked the frequency for a minimum at the fundamental (46 MHz),

And then 46 MHz with more poop.

Thanks again for the tip. Any idea why this works? It=92s fairly obvious why the DC term goes away, but not why the fundamental becomes smaller.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Foam dielectric?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

quoted text -

By -3 dB? The signals are no longer in phase and don't add.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell