Cell phone LOL!!

I got a real laugh out of this e-mail. The odds are next to nothing of this happening unless your phone got struck by lightning.

FYI... >Subject: DO NOT ANSWER CELL YOUR PHONE WHEN IT'S CHARGING!!!!!! >Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:47:35 -0700 (PDT) > > >Don't answer a cellphone while it's being charged > > > >Don't answer a cell phone while it is being CHARGED!! A few days ago, a > >person was recharging his cell phone at home. Just at that time a call came > >through and ! he attended to it; with the instrument still connected to the > >mains After a few seconds electricity flowed into the cell phone > >unrestrained and the person was thrown to the ground with a heavy thud. > > > >His parents rushed into the room only to find him unconscious, with weak > >heartbeats and burnt fingers. He was rushed to the nearby hospital, but was > >pronounced dead on arrival. A Cell phone is a very useful modern invention. > >However, we must be aware that it can also be an instrument of death.

> > >Never use the cell phone while it is hooked to the mains! > > > > >FORWARD THIS TO THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER IN YOUR LIFE, I JUST

DID! > >

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Or answering call in the shower and everything that could go wrong, did. The chargers are very well designed to avoid any significant leakage of current from the AC line.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Hi...

Durn, they left off a line. That only applies to the new quick chargers. 250,000 volts at 100 amps.

I've already worked out a solution for it. What I do is forward my calls to my worst enemy while it's charging.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Don't let the corporate lawyers see that comment or we'll have another idiotic warning taped around the AC adapter reading "Don't answer calls while charging cell phone in the shower", just below "Don't eat." and just above "May cause indigestion"

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Good thing this didn't happen when I tongue tested my cellphone charger a few years back. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Haha.. You could power an entire city with you quick charger.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

The problem with these emails is that while some of us can laugh them off as the hoaxes/urban myths they are, many people believe then unquestionably and obligingly forward them on to as many people as they can. You can bet a good proportion of those people are complete suckers who will fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Some of them are mischievous but harmless, but others, especially the bogus virus warnings, are downright malicious.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

You are right. This e-mail had about 100 people that it was FWD: to before it got to me.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

"AZ Nomad" bravely wrote to "All" (06 Oct 05 23:09:48) --- on the heady topic of "Re: Cell phone LOL!!"

AN> From: AZ Nomad AN> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344309

AN> >Or answering call in the shower and everything that could go wrong, did. The >chargers are very well designed to avoid any significant leakage of current >from >the AC line.

AN> Don't let the corporate lawyers see that comment or we'll have another AN> idiotic warning taped around the AC adapter reading "Don't answer calls AN> while charging cell phone in the shower", just below "Don't eat." and AN> just above "May cause indigestion"

Wasn't it "Don't dry hair while standing in bathtub full of water?"

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Now touch these wires to your tongue!

Reply to
Asimov

"Dave D" bravely wrote to "All" (07 Oct 05 09:06:13) --- on the heady topic of "Re: Cell phone LOL!!"

DD> From: "Dave D" DD> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344346

DD> The problem with these emails is that while some of us can laugh them DD> off as the hoaxes/urban myths they are, many people believe then DD> unquestionably and obligingly forward them on to as many people as DD> they can. You can bet a good proportion of those people are complete DD> suckers who will fall for it hook, line and sinker.

DD> Some of them are mischievous but harmless, but others, especially the DD> bogus virus warnings, are downright malicious.

Dave,

This sort of gullible acceptance happened in local news with the recent "Mars Hoax" going around. The ditzy blonde weather girlie girl actually repeated that Mars was going to be the *same size as the full moon*. "Here's yer sign, Miss..."

A*s*i*m*o*v

... I know flyback, ultor, and 47 other dangerous words.

Reply to
Asimov

I did a check on Snopes.com which is reputed to be a pretty reliable source of info about internet stories, and they say that this one really is based on an actual event in India, though it's been embellished. Have a look at

for the details.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

}I did a check on Snopes.com which is reputed to be a pretty reliable }source of info about internet stories, and they say that this one }really is based on an actual event in India...

Considering the wiring practices that are employed in parts of India, I wouldn't be surprised if the story was true. Home-brew chargers there could very well be nothing more than a diode and a dropping resistor wrapped in electrician's tape.

Stan.

Reply to
Stan

clifto