Blinking monitor

Hi,

Recently my monitor has started blinking off and then back on rapidly, it happens variably, sometimes every few minutes, sometimes not in an hour. The blinking is accompanied by an electric crackle and an odd smell, which has me a little worried. the monitor is a gateway I bought for 3 bucks on the side of the road last spring so I don't have a lot invested, its just something I've never seen a monitor do before, I'm curious. If anyone has an idea what's going on in there I'd be interested to hear it.

Andrew

Reply to
MCyogurt

nucleus

how hard would it be to replace? i.e. what tools would I need, how likely am I to electrocute myself, etc. thanks for the response.

Reply to
MCyogurt

Get another free one. You'll have zero success replacing the xformer.

or

Homer J Simpson

wow, I never realized craigslist was so awesome, thanks for the links.

Reply to
MCyogurt

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

free one. You'll have zero success replacing the xformer.

Reply to
MCyogurt

Not necessarily. I have a monitor here which does that since several months, but the intervals grew larger and now it does that only rarely. I think it here perhaps is a high voltage foil capacitor with the fault location burning out over time. Concening the HV transformer, my gut feeling is that over the edge once is over the edge forever.

Regards, H.

Reply to
Heinz Schmitz

Nowadays i m facing a new problem. My PC's monitor blinks(it goe blank and after a second the screen revives), this heppens atleast 3-4 times an hour. Can anyone help me out of this problem??

Reply to
pavan_21_007

Not enough info. CRT type monitor? or LCD type ? Power indicator goes out / changes colour ? Can be got back by thumping the unit ? Suddenly started happening ? Getting worse or staying the same ? Any physical sound when it goes off / comes back ? Goes off / comes back on quickly, or fades up / down ? Picture is perfect as soon as it comes back ?

Most likely problem, if its a CRT type, is a bad joint, although it could be the power supply starting and stopping. If an LCD, it could be that the backlight inverter is intermittently stopping.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Could be something as simple as a loose connection to the back of the monitor or computer, have you checked it? :)

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

FWIW, I have a 2 year old monitor in the garage that started flaking out on the bottom bar and just needed a whap on the side would get it to come back. I am suspecting a no lead ROHS solder causing a bad joint. My 'old' 2000 Compaq CV715 may not have the latest features, but 'it' still works and does a nice job of heating the room, good in the winter but very bad in summers that often hit 110. I would be suspect of anything newer than about 2 years because of the 'Tin whiskers' problem and crappy lead free joints. Bill Baka

Reply to
Bill

t /

it

down

d be

had the same .. started getting green screens and loss of video

The small square board located at the back of the tube, that combines the tube socket is a good place to start looking for 'dry solder joints' ..... close inspection with a eye glass will most likely show them up ..... re solder and proceed to tap with insulated 'wand' while looking at the screen , you should be able to locate the rough area ... re-solder and repeat till tube stop's flickering ....

G ..

Reply to
Graham

I agree with the initial approach of the CRT board, but that is not it, since only the bottom 50 lines or so are affected, losing sync, so it is probably on one of the main boards. In 1982 I tried the TV repair business and opened a shop just about the time TV's became throw aways, bad timing. I have also been nailed by the 25,000 volts on the big screen sets, and after being kicked across the room once I got real careful. If it isn't a solder problem it may just be a thermally sensitive chip, and if it is too much work I will take it to the local church and buy a new LCD monitor for less heat. Thanks though, Bill Baka

Reply to
Bill

I will take it to the local church .... lol what dose that say about church people ?

mine had bands of lines , all sorts of odd things .. been running fine since

still reckon you'll find it with a can of frezer , small tapping stick and a eyeglass

Graham

Yeah, They will probably just put it in the dumpster.

You are most likely correct, a few hours and a working monitor.

Thanks, Bill Baka

Reply to
Bill