Packard Bell FT700 Monitor

Can anyone explain this:

There seems to be a design fault with the Packard Bell FT700 (Mk1) LCD PC monitor. That's why they came out with a later version.

But, anyway, what happens is that after about 12 months or so, the backlight begins to turns itself off not long after swith on and consequently you get a blank screen. But, if you toggle the power on and off, that is either unplug and then plug in the monitor, or toggle the switch on the plug socket on an off, you can eventually get the screen to remain on.

Okay you electronics experts, what might explian the fault? Once you can get the screen to stay on, it stays on indefinitely. That's weird.

Thanks.

Reply to
Richard

A common fault is the inverter board, and sometimes the back-plane lamps in the screen. The fix is to change the inverter board and the lamps.

I don't think Packard Bell will sell you the parts directly. This would have to be serviced by their authorized service rep. Call them to find out if the monitor is under warranty. Many of these TFT monitors have 2 or 3 year warranties.

If the monitor is out of warranty and if it is a low cost TFT monitor, it may pay to simply replace it. Get an estimate to have it serviced if it is out of warranty.

Jerry G. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

ht

et

et

Reply to
Jerry G.

A common fault is the inverter board, and sometimes the back-plane lamps in the screen. The fix is to change the inverter board and the lamps.

I don't think Packard Bell will sell you the parts directly. This would have to be serviced by their authorized service rep. Call them to find out if the monitor is under warranty. Many of these TFT monitors have 2 or 3 year warranties.

If the monitor is out of warranty and if it is a low cost TFT monitor, it may pay to simply replace it. Get an estimate to have it serviced if it is out of warranty.

Jerry G. ======

Jerry

In the end I discovered that if air in blown onto the boards, the monitor can be made to stay on rather than cutting out. So, I now have an old PC fan affixed to the back of the monitor and all is working okay. If I turn the fan off, the monitor goes dead.

This works but in not an elegant solution. It might be possible to sych out the particular component that's causing the trouble by directing cold onto a specific component, but that's beyond me at present.

Cooling something is curing the problem.

Reply to
Richard