Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In message , Don Pearce writes

Because it sounds like the perfectly acceptable word [would've]

--
Chris Morriss
Reply to

I usually take it as an indication that the perpetrator only knows the language through sound, probably because they have never got into the habit of reading books.

Rod.

--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

It's also an indication that the person is a visual or aural thinker and does not think in words.

A very common trait of creative people.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Never mind what it sounds like. Does it make any sense?

Don Pearce

com

"

ice

The TBO of the first production German turbojet engine, the Junkers Jumo 004, was 25 hours. I don't recall specific fuel economy but it was not terribly worse than second generation axial flow turbojets, such as the GE J-47 that powered the B-47 and many fighters. One of which flew over my house a couple of weeks ago-a great noise. Since a jet sortie of this magnitude would have been a twelve hour flight, it would have worked.

The Jumo 004 was a very advanced engine, all considered, and with better hot section materials and a later fuel control system would have been a credible engine fifteen or twenty years later. Even today it would be an interesting project, if "interesting" would finance a high six/low seven figure sum. Hey, it would create employment, unlike the supposedly shovel ready projects of the imbecilic leadership we have today.

A better plan for the Germans would have been a B-36 scale aircraft powered by another Junkers project, the opposed piston diesels which could make maximum use of turbocharging and thus fly at an altitude the US had nothing to intercept it with, neither AAA, anti aircraft missiles nor fighters. Specially modified B-36 aircraft, it is now forgotten, were capable of reaching altitudes equaling the first generation U-2s, I think the record was something like 66,300 feet.

Reply to
rrusston

that

I saw some come through the shop in the early '70s. Even working, they only gave grainy pictures in that area because the stations were more than a few miles away. Other brands had no problem qith the availible signals, even thought the closest transmitter was 30 miles away.

Michael A. Terrell

[]

Is that the reflexing someone mentioned, or just a general term for cheap circuit techniques? I'm not familiar with the name, but (a) I'm in UK (b) I'm not in the trade.

In a similar vein (though OT for UTB), Amstrad put actually useful - as opposed to just gaming - computing into many homes and small businesses where there would not have been any otherwise, especially with his PCW (personal computer Word processor) series that included a printer. The machines were often derided by others but provided computing - with printing, so therefore actually of some use - at a low price. (In UK, in I think about the early '80s.)

Was it purely that they were deaf? If so, would they have been one of the few cases where an external preamp (in the room, not masthead) was actually useful (or were the noise figures of external preamps pretty bad then)?

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/
Reply to

A reflex circuit would use the same tube to amplify signals at different frequencies, like an IF amp and an audio amp by using tuned circuits to separate the signals. It worked, within reason, but was touchy. Muntz's habit of removing bypass caps from working designs made the layout of the point to point wiring quite critical.

I used some Commodore 64 equipment for video test generators & character generators in CATV and while building a commercial TV station. The baseband video was better than the $60,000 Metrodata graphics system at the CATV headend, and the video test patterns allowed me to repair and align the video stages in a 30 year old RCA 25 KW UHF TV transmitter.

If they could have afforded a decent TV amp in the '50s or '60s, they could have bought a better tv for less than the amp & the Muntz TV.

Michael A. Terrell

wrote

Do you mean that the war could have been avoided completely, or that the US could have stayed out?

An interesting claim. Who do you claim was "goading" the Japanese? And what evidence do you have to back it up?

David.

Reply to
David Looser

FDR was pro-war (or anti-NAZI, depending upon your point of view).

The US had large anti-war (pro-peace) and fascist (pro-Nazi), and isolationist (do what you want, just don't do it here) populations. Combined they were enough to prevent him from joining the war.

The fact that the Japanese attacked the US, and (by accident) the attack was a surprise gave FDR the excuse he needed.

So while it would of been likely that the US did not enter the war in 1941 if there was no attack on Pearl Harbor, eventually Roosevelt would have found a way, or an attack would of happened.

As for the war not happening at all, if the King of England, who was a fascist supporter had not been forced to abdicate, when Germany invaded the Studentenland, he would not of declared war on Germany.

If Germany had kept its nonagression pact with the Soviet Union, and been satisifed with Europe, there may not have been a "world" war.

Not likely, but a long train of "ifs" that were possible.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

You have a strange idea of the power of the monarch in the UK. He would have done as he was told or face the consequences. If he wasn't allowed to marry who he wanted (and stay king), do you really think he could influence something far more important like a declaration of war?

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The marriage bit was a red herring. It was the cleaned up for the public version of getting rid of him because he was a fascist. If he was not deposed, it would have meant that there was sufficient support for the fascists in the UK to keep him in power.

Assuming that support did exist, then one can easily (at least I can) speculate that he would of not declared war on Germany until they attacked the UK.

Didn't the UK sign a non-agression pact with Germany over the Studetenland in September of 1938?

With a King and Parliment supporting the fascists, how far could Germany have gone without the UK declaring war?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

It was no red herring. The Church of England in those days had a great deal of influence. And a future king was simply not allowed to marry a divorcee. Even after WW2, a princess was banned from marrying one too - and there was little chance of her ever becoming queen. Things are different now.

BTW, simply because someone is a fascist doesn't mean to say he'll support each and every other one in a different country. Any more than a communist does.

--
*You! Off my planet!

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. Our history books say that beaches were assaulted by Americans, British, and Canadian armies that also included Australian soldiers. More specifically the American First Army and the British Second Army.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Madman Muntz put a TV in houses that otherwise would have had none and they worked in strong signal areas pretty well. They were tough to fix but they usually lasted long enough that by the time they took a shit there were better cheaper sets widely available. He was not a con man, but he was certainly a self-promoter. The term "Muntzing" survives today in analog design circles.

My dad, being an incorrigible cheapskate bought one that we used for at least a decade.

It did well enough on the 3 US and 1 Canadian station in the Detroit area, but did not do so well on the UHF station that was started up by a local university, even with a UHF converter with extra amplification.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Was WTVS actually *started* by Wayne State University though?

From

QUOTE

Detroit Public Television (DPTV) began broadcasting in 1955 as WTVS Channel 56, a non-commercial, educational TV station licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation.

UNQUOTE

From

QUOTE

In the 1950s and 1960s, Wayne State's University Television *co-produced* educational, entertainment, and public affairs programs with DPTV.

UNQOTE

Reply to
J G Miller

I have no information that seriously conflicts with published authorities. I was just working off of memories of the day.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

'which' seriously conflicts 'From' memories of the day

You are welcome ;) Ron

Reply to
Ron

Well the fact that a lot of the early programs were co-productions with Wayne State would tend to suggest to viewers that WTVS was started by the Wayne State it-self.

I was not able to find anything else on the web of the history of WTVS and I wonder if some of the first board members of Detroit Public Television were perhaps linked to WSU.

On the radio dial, as you know, WSU owns and operates WDET, but in fact WSU did not start the station. It was originally WUAW and started and operated by the UAW in 1948 who sold it to WSU for USD 1 in 1952. This is the reason why WDET, although a public station, operates on a commercial frequency 101,9 MHz and not in the reserved public broadcasting sub-band.

So perhaps unlike other larger and more prosperous universities, WSU did not have the resources to launch a radio station its-self and the even higher startup costs of a TV station were just out of the question?

Maybe you could make some inquiries with local historians?

Reply to
J G Miller

Have you dug through the FCC broadcast database? There is a wealth of data availible if you have the time to look for it.

Michael A. Terrell