Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

We wouldn't need to do it, if you Europeans would stop starting World Wars.

Michael A. Terrell

Look again. Some low power transmitters still transmit NTSC. There is supposed to be one withing range here, but I can't get any TV signals since the switch.

will show you what is supposed to be availible in your area.

Michael A. Terrell

An internet ready BluRay is better. A lot of free TV via the internet including classic movies, comedy and Sci-Fi.

BTW, reading the messages of some of the trolls on this thread reminded me that the new 'Three Stooges' movie is due to be released next month. :)

Michael A. Terrell

That's very easy to do with film. I should know. I loaded and ran truckloads of 16 mm film on a pair of RCA TP66 projectors in the '70s.

Michael A. Terrell

Those '60s TVs worked fine on CATV, with no open channels. Even sets from the '50s work well that way. Early CATV was simply 12 VHF channels deilivered to the TV at 0 dBm to +5 dBm. Some super cheap sets with a single IF stage and no RF stage didn't work well, but they were the floor sweepings of the industry and intended for markets where there was only one or two stations. 'Madman' Earl Muntz made some real crap.

Michael A. Terrell

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote

Its hardly a "claim", its there in Black & White in Appendix 7 of BS7671: (Table 7A on page 342 of the 2008 edition)

L1 Brown L2 Black L3 Grey

I can't see how it could be clearer.

David.

Reply to
David Looser

That was a problem with very early vacuum tube CATV trunk amplifiers that were run single ended. They generated a lot of IMD. Even '60s solid state push-pull Trunk amps had no problem with adjacent channels. CATV converters only made it possible to add more channels to broadcast only TV sets. Some converted to a low VHF channel, (Hamlin, Jerrold, Oak) and others (Eagle) converted everything up to the UHF band. I repaired in excess of 10,000 CATV converters in the '80s, in a four year period along with all of the head end equipment.

Michael A. Terrell

Knowing how to do the job takes care of it. It's quite easy to do properly, since the ground is on the end of the outlet. Once it's pushed back into the box and screwed down, the solid wire can't move. That photo is sloppy work, and in most areas you have to use a green wire nut for grounds. Some require a 'greenie, which has a hole through the top, for the wire that goes to the device. When all the wires are connected, the ground is pushed into the back of the box, then the insulated wires. There is enough room in the box for all the wire. I wouldn't use the second pair of wire nuts. I would use both sets of screws on the outlet. This picture looks like it comes from a cheap 'DIY' book for and by people with no clues.

Here is a 'Greenie':

Michael A. Terrell

I'm sure it is, but as we've already established that the "exact point in the same broadcast" bit isn't true its not relevant.

The myth that the engineers simply ceased transmission half-way through a programme and left the station like a sort of Mary Celeste has been widespread, but it is a myth. In fact there was an orderly shut down and the film in the machines would have been rewound and put into storage before the staff left. It would have been 35mm film (the BBC didn't have facilities for transmitting from 16mm film pre-war) and thus on nitrate stock. NOT putting it into proper storage would have constituted a fire hazard and been in contravention of fire regulations.

David.

Reply to
David Looser

Security screws are aailible so a plate can't be removed with common tools. Any kind of family who won't replace a damaged wall plate is likely to leave lots of other hazards around for their kids. A hell of a lot more kids drown than get electrocuted.

Michael A. Terrell

No problem. Goodbye!

Michael A. Terrell

How do you confuse the bright orange medical grade with the ivory white or brown consumer hardware?

Michael A. Terrell

I'll beleive that when pigs fly, and I'm not talking about 'PIGS IN SPACE!!!' ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

You expect a cleaner or whatever to know the difference? If the plug fits someone will manage to get it wrong.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The hardware had to be, no matter where it was shipped to. The power wiring had to meet the standards of where it was shipped to.

In that case I apologize.

They had UK outlets, and the 'voltmeter was about 1/2" * 3/4" like the tiny VU meters that were popular 30 years ago in battery powered tape recorders.

There are too many sub threads in this thread to keep everything straight Is my guess. :) I have had so many comments challenged by o may different people that it's hard to keep them straight. I did put a smiley at the end of that paragraph to show I was joking about not believing a photo.

Michael A. Terrell

I wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Pink Floyd album cover:

Flying pig over the Battersea Power Station.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

According to the history books the US entered WW2 because it was attacked by the Japanese. It seems that Michael A. Terrell thinks that Japan is in Europe.

David.

Reply to
David Looser

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote

Now that I *would* like to see a photo of, because I cannot imagine what they look like from that description. Wherabouts on the socket faceplate is the meter fitted? You say they have UK outlets, so why are they not available here? Why would the Chinese make UK sockets and only sell them in Florida? it makes no sense.

I'm also still puzzled by the claim that "tourists" are buying socket outlets in flea markets in the US to bring home with them. Socket outlets are simply far too cheap here to make it worth the bother and expense of purchasing with foreign currency and then having to pack in one's weight-limited luggage.

"Look what I've brought you as a souvenir of my holiday in Florida, its a cheaply made Chinese copy of a BS1363 outlet",

I can't see it somehow!

David.

Reply to
David Looser

In article , David Looser writes

Wouldn't surprise me, seeing the average American's knowledge of geography. A very insular country.

Also, what about the current sabre-rattling over Iraq? There's some right-wing American pols very keen on another war in the Middle East.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

I would agree with that but then, 'tourists' are a peculiar breed! If they've never looked further than the local High Street or shed they might expect to pay around £5 (or more)

or

rather than a little over a pound:

or

although the price in dollars - $1.85 each - looks much higher.

How cheap do they need to be to persuade 'tourists' to buy them ...?

Of course it is quite likely that many that are sold in the UK also originate in China ...!

--

Terry
Reply to