Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In message , Terry Casey writes

With System B , I think it's the closer proximity of the TV adjacent sound traps that create the horrendous group delay curve. In System I, they are 0.5MHz further away, and that seems to make all the difference.

So you've never had the ecstatic pleasure of tuning up the group delay pre-distortion circuit in a System B/G modulator? ;o)))))

Of course, Norway realised the SAW filters for TV set IFs could be made with a flat group delay response (rather than slavishly mimicking the traditional L/C horrendous "-90, +140 microsecond" curve). For reasons unknown to me, they decided to change the pre-distortion curve of their transmitters to something like "flat to 4MHz, and -100us at 5MHz". Heaven knows what your average Norwegian TV set made of this!

I've never actually come across it. Is it actually used? I guess it's simply a relaxation of the unnecessarily-tight VSB roll-off of System G. However, as the TV set IFs will all be B/G, they will hardly know the difference.

Ah! You could well be right. I only recently became aware that the Irish launched their 625-line broadcasts in 1962, and of course, at the time, the BBC were still only making experimental transmissions (albeit at UHF). It's therefore unlikely that UK cable systems had any 625-line programmes to put out until 1964 - and that would only have been BBC2. It therefore makes sense that they adopted the Irish VHF TV frequency plan, instead of vice versa!

--
Ian
Reply to

Stations (sorry - copied what the OP wrote ...)

networks

Netherlands

The OP was referring to VHF transmissions in the 60s and 70s - are you sure you are not wandering of into UHF territory here? That would make a considerable difference to coverage ...

--

Terry
Reply to

It's brown, black. grey, blue. Still stupid and difficult for those with colour blindness or working in low light.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

BS7671 says that the colours are brown, black and grey, with blue for neutral.

David.

Reply to
David Looser

In article , Mortimer writes

Yes.

Unbelievable but true. Foisted on us by the Eurocrats in Brussels.

you don't

precisely.

I can see the benefit in changing from red+black to brown+blue in T&E as those are the same colours used in flex, but to go from our previous widely understood red/yellow/blue + black to the new scheme is less convincing.

The idea, I think, was to continue the concept that the brown wire is phase and blue neutral for consistency, but to use two black wires for the second and third phases... words fail me.

See this:

this was an installation where a distribution board built in Britain was shipped to a remote location in Europe. The Spanish electricians needed a crib sheet to match up the colours correctly :-)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

In article , David Looser writes

Must have changed, then, 'cos I have seen several installations with brown/black/black and blue. Also see the pic I posted earlier - look at the Spanish names for the harmonised colours.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Do you think there are still analog TV transmissions in Belgium, a neighboring country whose capital is less distance (198 miles) away from London than Edinburgh (332 miles)?

RTBF ceased the last analog TV transmissions on March 1st, 2010.

The VRT ceased analog TV transmissions on November 3rd, 2008.

Meanwhile analog TV transmissions continue in England and Northern Ireland ... ;)

Reply to
J G Miller

"J G Miller" wrote

And??

David.

Reply to
David Looser

You make it sound like 'we' were forced to adopt another country's standard. Flex colours were originally changed to harmonise the sales of electrical goods across Europe - in the same way as our electricity supply became 230 volts instead of 240. Without changing a thing. ;-) The flex colours were chosen so a colour blind person could still differentiate between them - if, of course, he knew that the dark one was line...

Permanent cable changed quite recently to the same colours.

Red(L1) Yellow(L2) Blue(L3) now is Brown Black Grey

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There were some areas with two band III channels, Brussels for instance on E.8 and E.10. With a bit of luck you could get a Dutch channel too or a Frech one in the South. We got three Band III signals in Brussels around 1966 (Belgium French and Flemish as well as France). This of course would not have meant that full area coverage like the whole of the UK would have been possible.

Holland had only one channel on VHF, partly because Belgium needed two in Brussels. I think most of Germany had only one too, except if you were close to the border between West and East (or Berlin).

For the UK two channels was possible using 405 lines because they used narrower channels, leaving room for more channels to allocate to transmitters. Even then, different polarization was often necessary to separate the signals.

gr, hwh

Reply to
hwh

A list of systems is one of the many facts on this page.

gr, hwh

Reply to
hwh

Dutch cable tv provider Casema used a scheme like 24 28 31 35 38 42 etc. Interference products tended to be out of the used channels.

When tv sets became better over time many more channels were used, including most VHF channels.

gr, hwh

Reply to
hwh

Some people in the UK newsgroups may think you are just talking about a dozen or less tankloads, nothing really significant.

It is budgetwise and timewise the World's Biggest Environmental Cleanup.

QUOTE

Hanford officials had estimated there were about 10 kilograms of plutonium in the site's 56 million gallons of radioactive sludge.

UNQUOTE

QUOTE

Hanford - a 580 square mile complex along the Columbia River.

270 billion gallons of contaminated ground water and 53 million gallons of waste in 177 storage underground tanks.

This waste is the legacy of more than 5 decades of plutonium production making

UNQUOTE

All because of the perceived need to produce weapons of mutual annihilation.

Reply to
J G Miller

Sorry, I missed out the important update --

QUOTE

Now, that 10-kilogram estimate has risen to at least 30 kilograms and as much as 130 kilograms of plutonium.

UNQUOTE

Do not forget that plutonium is not only highly radioactive, it is also highly toxic.

Reply to
J G Miller

That is a most excellent website!

--
Ian
Reply to

I can't remember, I'm afraid. I was only 10 +/- at the time! ISTR "German one" - ARD - was the one on band I, and was pickable-up where we were (Dortmund, then Muelheim) on the proverbial wet string, and was a painfully clear picture. I _think_ we could get more than one on band III.

It has as varied topography as the UK, I would say.

There were indeed such plains east of Dortmund; our lot* went there a lot for exercises. I think they were (are) fairly sparsely populated, though, so less germane to these discussions: big agriculture area, IIRR.

(* My dad was a civilian [language lecturer] attached to the British army there.)

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/
Reply to

Yes - green/red being the commonest form of colourblindness. Though making one stripy meant anyone could get it. (A physics master - I think it was - once told me: brown is what you'll go if you touch it, green and yellow think buttercups on grass i. e. earth.)

Old German (flex - I don't know about house) colours were red, black, and grey - I can't remember which was which. I have an old globe with these colours.

Or, a _long_ time ago, red, blue, and white. (I did my apprenticeship with Reyrolle Switchgear, where Really old came up all the time ...)

It _does_ seem odd. Not only the change keeping black but for a different purpose, but also having _two_ of the phases the same colour. (If that _is_ truly the case and not one of them grey, as some have claimed in this thread.)

Though on the subject of motors turning the wrong way etc.: is it definitely true that you always get the same phase relationship between red, blue, and yellow? (And what happens at star-delta or delta-star transformers: are the outputs still coloured red, blue, and yellow?)

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/
Reply to

15A is the smallest in use in the US, exept in industral machines.
Michael A. Terrell

Or if you should even drink tea. :(

Michael A. Terrell

Red Skelton claimed it came from tea made with the water heated in the radiator of a Model T Ford:

Michael A. Terrell