Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

OK then.

Assuming it survives long enough, a 120V kettle run on 240V will boil in less than a quarter of the time. [Note 'quarter', not 'half', as twice the voltage will provide four times the power.]

Conversely, a 240V kettle run on 120V will take more than four times the normal time to boil. In fact, it literally could take forever to boil. I know this to be true as I once took a single-voltage UK travel kettle on a holiday in the USA!

These apparent anomalies are because, unless it's perfectly insulated, as a kettle heats up it will radiate more and more heat.

Consider the case of the 240V kettle on a 120V supply. The rate of heat radiation eventually may balance the rate of electrical input, so a state of equilibrium is reached before the kettle boils. No matter how long you leave it (or even watch it), it will never boil. It's therefore a pretty good guess that, on a 240V supply, a 120V kettle will boil in less than half the time.

BTW, for my next trip to the USA, I made sure that I took a dual voltage kettle. I can confidently report that, when on the correct voltage setting, it seemed to boil just as quickly as it had done in the UK.

--
Ian
Reply to

Nothing beats the taste of tea made from water boiled over an old fashioned wood fire.

:-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Didn't the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation help pay for it?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Maybe inferior American water takes long to boil anyway compared with 'proper' Bwitish water ;)

Ron

Reply to
Ron

ven

ing.

Back arounf 1968, my sister sent me a "hot water jug" from Australia which is a ceramic jug with a plastic lid and a bare ceramic plate wound with coiled resistance wire immersed in the water at the bottom of the jug. Since our kitchen was equipped with 'split' appliance recepticals, I was able to install a standard 15A 230V outlet and happened to have an ancient [1930s ??] adaptor that converted the Australian 'Y' plug to NEMA 220V. It was indeed impressive how quickly it would boil water compared to the then common GE chrome kettles. I had to replace the element once [she had sent spares], but the jug was eventually dropped and broken :-(

Neil S

Reply to
nesesu

I disagree. Many of the new uses weren't about high profits but were low-power devices used by the public such as wireless baby alarms, wireless microphones, wireless doorbells etc. All of far more use to the public than one more TV network IMO.

David.

Reply to
David Looser

That's because evironmental activists have found large quantities of DiHydrogen Mononxide (DMO) in what comes out of taps and wells and are trying to get it banned.

(look it up on YouTube).

Geoff.

Ok, I'll put a smiley in here. :-)

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Arny Krueger writes

I think you forget that the UK population is fuelled by gallons of tea. The quicker this can be achieved, the better :-)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Maybe you might want check out the meaning of the word consortium. We can both be right... ;-)

Reply to
Arny Krueger

In article , Geoffrey S. Mendelson writes

Like the way food always seem to taste better if it's cooked outside :-)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Depending on the municipality, the water in the US could have an awful lot less chlorine (possibly none) than that supplied by one of the big English water companies.

Reply to
J G Miller

Not to mention that commie plot FLOURIDATION.

P O E! P O E! P O E!

:-) (does it really need one?)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

On Monday, February 6th, 2012, at 16:19:04h +0000, Geoffrey S. Mendelson asked:

I could be wrong but I do not think that they specifically put any money into BBC World Service on PRI affiliates. The partnership between BBC World Service and PRI arose partly out of a joint news program from Boston and WGBH "The World", and in response to the BBC stopping their HF service to North America.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is active in funding a lot of public radio and TV programming via the CPB for PBS programs and directly with NPR, and with American Public Media (whose programs are heard on both NPR affliates and PRI affliates).

Reply to
J G Miller

Yeah I was just plain wrong to say it was not a consortium -- I should have checked the "finer" details first.

In the case of PBS (television):

1) it is collectively owned by the affiliate stations 2) it produces no programs of its own, but these are supplied by major stations (eg WETA, WGBH, WNET, KQED) for network viewing by affliates who have paid the appropriate fee for the program

In the case of NPR (radio):

1) it is a corporation in its own right but stations pay to join as affiliates, and each member station receives one vote at the annual NPR board meetings 2) NPR produces network programming to which individual stations can subscribe
Reply to
J G Miller

Agreement is a beautiful thing!

Reply to
Arny Krueger

In message , David Looser writes

Don't forget that French SECAM had positive going Video and (I think) AM sound.

--
Clive
Reply to

True enough. But the original claim was that Britain failed re-use Bands 1 &

3 for TV as UHF only TVs couldn't receive French broadcasts. I was just pointing that many UK TVs *could * receive VHF. You are quite correct that French 625-line TV used +ve vision modulation and AM sound which would have made receiving French TV on UK sets impossible even if we *had* used VHF for 625-line TV.

BTW AM sound was always used with +ve vision modulation. I'm not sure that there was a killer reason why FM could not have been used with +ve vision modulation, but intercarrier reception (the cheap'n'easy way to receive FM sound with TV) wouldn't work with +ve vision modulation unless there was significant carrier amplitude remaining at the sync tips. Normally with +ve vision modulation the carrier amplitude at sync tips was nominally zero.

David.

Reply to
David Looser

that

FM

+ve

Early US TV sets used separate video and audio IFs -- intercarrier had not been thought of at that point.

My understanding is that "inverted" polarity was used to minimize the effects of noise bursts on the sync pulses.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

In message , David Looser writes

Many years ago I used to be in to TV and the thought at the time(often expressed in "Television" magazine) was that the French were deliberately different to keep manufacturing in France, hence the positive luminance signal and AM sound. Another example of this was what used to be called "Peritel" which was mandated for any TV sold in France to keep out foreigners out. Who would have known at the time that it would spread and be adopted as the now SCART socket

--
Clive
Reply to

That's a good part of it. The net purpose of inverted polarity was to improve subjective dynamic range. White flecks on a grey background are far less obvious than black ones.

Reply to
Arny Krueger