Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

No, the phases are *NOT* brown, black & black, they are brown, black and grey - with blue as neutral.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Serves me right for not having my morning coffee BEFORE I type anything.

It should say 1944 not 1994.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

I think I'll put this down to short term memory loss ...

The version of events I described is the one that has been quoted for over 40 years but I only became aware of that bulletin a couple of months ago ...

Was it a recording you saw - or a film made at the time?

It was rather a pathetic attempt which should be filed in the "it would have been better if they hadn't bothered" category.

I don't know what the viewers (if there were any left!) made of it at the time but, when I saw the film it generated some laughter - possibly out of pity - from some of the audience.

I should have a recording of it somewhere ...

--

Terry
Reply to

Well, you had a better reason for remembering than most! The important one was the red one!

See here ...

Terry
Reply to
Terry Casey

Not a bomber - it would have been the A10 rocket.

The A10 was a prosed development of the A4 rocket that was the basis for the V2 bombs that fell on London (as opposed to the jet engined V1 flying bomb known colloquially as the 'doodlebug' - I think the US term is buzz-bomb).

To bring this back 'on course' - at least, for uk.tech.broadcast readers

- the A10 rocket is mentioned in this historic article:

Terry
Reply to
Terry Casey

I'm not that much into water that smells of smoke.

Perhaps you are talking about a new fashioned wood fire that is built in a stove, and thus the smoke is separated from the water.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

The average American's knowledge of geography is not that bad.

IME Europeans vastly underestimate the size of the US. Merely keeping track of it is equivalent to keeping track of Europe and a big chunk of Asia.

I remember working with a French guy who flew from France to San Diego. His reaction to the experience was that the flight from Europe to New York was about the same as his flight from New York to Texas (Dallas), and then he was only about half way to San Diego. The distances don't quite support his perceptions, but the flight times including waiting for flights, baggage and the like, do.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

No, there was also a super bomber based on conventional technology:

"The most promising proposals were based on conventional principles of aircraft design and would have yielded aircraft very similar in configuration and capability to the Allied heavy bombers of the day..."

IOW, all they had to do is build something between the B17 and the B29.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

We have the hardware for both. After experiencing a hands-on unfettered comparison of the two for about a year, we kept the DVR and terminated the Internet service for the BluRay, but kept the stream of rental BD discs.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

US analog TV's improved greatly and were generally happy with adjacent channels for maybe the last 20 years of their lives.

shows cable channels on 6-7 MHz intervals. Adjacent numbered channels were used all the time.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

CATV in those days often involved "Cable Converter Boxes" which used the TV as an IF strip.

IME, the early 50s TVs were better made than their sequels in the late 50s and 60s. The picture tubes and sweep circuits got larger but the RF, IF and video circuits were "simplified".

I don't know of any TVs with only 1 IF stage for video.

Even his stripped-back products had 3 (6AU6) video IF stages. If memory serves, they may have had only 1 IF stage for sound, but with intercarrier sound, that's not a fair comparison.

By the late 60s a number of mainstream manufacturers were building sets that were influenced by Muntz.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

You seem to think that your photos prove something, they do not beyond what colours were used in one Spanish installation. If you want to know what the harmonised colours actually are go and read the documents!

David.

Reply to
David Looser

In article , David Looser writes

Yes, they prove that the installation was done with brown/black/black. You seemed to have difficulty believing me, which is why I posted a photo.

You said in an earlier post "I guess the installers simply didn't have any grey cable" which means you thought the cables were single, individual cables. I merely pointed out that they were not, but were in in an armoured outer jacket.

I'm fine that the harmonised colours are brown/black/grey, just saying that I know of installations - note the plural - where they are not.

Take a chill pill, ffs.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

A couple of questions regarding that list:

Why is the HRC channel spacing offset[1] by 300Hz - 6.0003MHz instead of

6MHz?

Why are the IRC channels offset from broadcast channels (where they exist) by 12.5kHz?

[1] UK cable systems mostly use HRC at 8MHz spacing but this is sometimes varied by a carefully calculated amount so that one block of UHF channels coincides almost exactly with the broadcast frequencies. This is done on systems with a by-pass facility to allow a few channels

- usually the local off-airs - to be fed directly to the TV giving the subscriber direct access from the TV without needing an aerial.

Obviously this block of channels has to be chosen so as not to conflict with local transmitters, so the offset will vary from system to system and can't be fixed as in the US table

--

Terry
Reply to

In case it isn't clear, I should have pointed out that normal cable reception is via a set top box and, of course, I was referring to analogue systems ...

--

Terry
Reply to

Which conflicts with the idea of a stealth bomber ...

--

Terry
Reply to

"Terry Casey" wrote

What I actually saw was a DVD, copied from a video tape. My understanding is that someone at Kingswood Warren decided to record this "first programme" off-air, but that the tape then lay forgotten for many years until it was rediscovered a few years ago. I also understand that the DVD I saw was a direct copy from the original off-air tape. It's clear from the picture quality that this was a video-tape recording, not a film telerecording.

I entirely agree. Its the most appallingly amateurish thing imaginable. I particularly like the fact that there is total silence for the first minute or so and then, at the end of the bulletin, the newsreader says that the bulletin will be repeated in one minute's time as "I gather nobody could hear me". So the loss of sound was at the transmitting end. I guess the BBC were too embarrassed to admit that this news bulletin was actually broadcast and were quite happy to have the myth that BBC2 only started the next day gain currency!

David.

Reply to
David Looser

I never for one second doubted that you had seen installations done in brown, black, black. So there was no need to post photos to prove that you had.

All I said was that the harmonised colours are, and always have been, brown, black, grey. A fact which you have seemed reluctant to accept.

Its entirely possible that brown, black, black was in use in parts of Europe before the EU-wide harmonised colours were introduced. But they've never been used here.

Take a chill pill, ffs.

You too :-)

David.

Reply to
David Looser

Right. It wasn't jet powered, either. The jet engines of the day had service lives measured in integer hours, which means that a flight from Europe to the US would be pretty much guaranteed to fail. Fuel economy was miserable as well.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

I don't know.

If memory sserves, two transmitters that are interferring just a little, produce nasty herringbones if they are running at the same frequency, but move them apart a tad, and the artifacts are far less objectionable.

US cable systems ran on some of the same channels as local broadcasters.

Reply to
Arny Krueger