Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

The advent of TV sets that could tune the cable channels all by themselves was a game changer.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

How big a bomber and how unpractical a tool of war is a fighter sized airplane that can't be seen until you are 20 miles off the coast and it's carrying an atomic bomb?

The distance from the coast to London is 92 miles so it needs to go 112 miles to drop the bomb directly on London. If it was travelling 100 mph, that would take enough time for it to be noticed and if a fighter got lucky, it would be shot down visually.

According to the Wikipedia page its top speed was 977 kmh, so it could go from first contact to ground zero in 11 minutes. Not a lot of time to find and stop it.

The cargo load of the airplane was about 2000 pounds, about 1/5 of the size of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki (fat man and little boy) bombs, but that does not mean that someone could of built an atomic bomb that would fit the weight critera if one did not care to survive the construction of the bomb and the flight.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

According to the wikipedia entry (quoted in an earlier post), it had the speed to make it from Paris to New York in about 6-7 hours.

The jet engines would not of gotten you to New York and back, but it would of gotten an atomic bomb to New York, which is what was intended.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In message , Arny Krueger writes

I recall once specially tweaking a UK 8MHz HRC harmonic comb generator (to which all of the TV channels were locked). It was a little above (or was it below?) 8MHz. There was a reason for this, but at the moment, I can't remember what it was. However, I have a feeling the reason was a bit of a red herring. I also remember tweaking another so that one of UHF cable channels was carefully offset from a local off-air in order to minimise the visibility of interference patterning (essentially the same fix as discussed below).

That is almost certainly the reason. Running IRC channels exactly on frequency can result in unacceptable beat patterns of 0.75 and 1.25MHz (at least, it did on one European system I was involved with). Moving all 65 channels HF by 25kHz worked wonders. [This is close to the 5/3 x

15.625kHz offset broadcasters use for off-air 625-line TV.] 12.5kHz will probably also be a good offset.

These days, UK cable TV systems don't seem to avoid clashing with (or, at least, partially overlapping) the off-air TV channels (which are all UHF). Obviously, to prevent interference problems caused by ingress/egress, sufficient attention has to be paid to the RF-tightness of the network.

--
Ian
Reply to

Sigh. America was supplying AKA: LENDING planes and other war materials to help Europe clean up their mess, long before Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. Is the school system really that bad where you grew up?

Michael A. Terrell

I hope you are not imagining that America did that from anything other than good, solid self-interst.

Don Pearce

The BluRay was a one time investment of $80. Since I already have broadband, there is no monthly fee. No need for a credit card, or trips to one of the few remaining video stores, or to try to find something worth watching in a 'Redbox'.

Michael A. Terrell

He loved 'Reflex circuits' where a single tube was used at multiple frqurncies. He was stingy as hell about bypass capacitors and shielding, as well.

Michael A. Terrell

Yes, but they would move the local channel to another frequency, if direct pickup was expected to be a problem. United Video Cablevision in Cincinnati moved the local channels up one channel,, and numbered the channels from '1' instead of '2'. Then the original channels were used for things like the program guide and community bulletin board channels so that if there was ingression or direct pickup, it was less noticeable. Do you know that the channel combiners in a CATV head end were wired in odd and even banks, on separate groups to prevent IMD caused in the passive mixing?

Michael A. Terrell

HRC = Harmonically Related Channels. That means that of the carriers are all multiples of an integer to reduce IMD. I designed and built some headends in the early '80s.

Michael A. Terrell

It still would have been no problem to load and start it at exactly the same frame, if they had wanted to.

Michael A. Terrell

They were a dollar. This isn't the same as what I saw, but it will give you some idea:

since the meter was next to the power switch and cord.

Michael A. Terrell

You think so? That will get them fired in a hospital. They are strictly used for medical equipment, and there are plenty of industrial grade outlets that are installed for other uses. Why would a lazy janitor pull a heavy machine away from a wall to plug in something, when there are empty outlets in plain sight, and spaced 10' or less apart? The vacuums & floor scrubbers have 25 foot cords.

Michael A. Terrell

Right. You started all this by refering to European sockets which had to be installed in equipment racks. So I naturally assumed that you were talking about UK specific installation sockets being sold in flea markets in the US.

But now I realise that you are talking about plug-in extention sockets, and I notice from the photo that that one has "universal" sockets that will accept US and a variety of European plugs as well as UK ones. Personally I wouldn't touch one of those with a barge-pole. Those sort of "universal" sockets rarely make good contact whilst the meter is clearly for show, it would tell you nothing useful. I'm sure it would not be legal to sell those here as the sockets appear not to have shutters, which probably explains why I've not seen one.

David.

Reply to
David Looser

In message , Michael A. Terrell writes

It might have depended on whose combiners you were using.

I hadn't heard about this so, one day (it must have been back in the

80s), I decided to do a quick test to see if it was true. To be honest, I don't think I saw much difference whichever way I grouped the channels. From what I remember, with the modulators putting each out 60dBmV, all the intermod products were at least 85dB down, and were rather difficult to measure quickly. Such low levels of intermod would have had a negligible impact on the overall system performance.

--
Ian
Reply to

Terry
Reply to
Terry Casey

One system where this was done was the old BT Westminster system - probably very useful in an area where I would expect a lot of off-air reception problems.

I don't know what offset they used but, as an example, if you alter the comb to 7.990963855MHz, channel E45 is bang on (663.25MHz) so, if you centred the five off-airs around this using E41, E43, E45, E47 and E49, the worst case error will be +/-36kHz from the nominal frequency.

--

Terry
Reply to

All hypothetical. As David said earlier, it is a myth that transmission was cut in the middle of the cartoon. Station logs exist that say different.

Another myth is that the Television Service resumed in 1946 with the same cartoon. It didn't!

The cartoon WAS repeated that day - but it wasn't the first programme.

--

Terry
Reply to

That's what we'd call a trailing socket. To be used with an extension lead. I thought you meant permanently installed sockets. But perhaps you can't tell the difference.

It look like it would also accept other than the UK 13 amp plug - which is why some tourists might buy it. It doesn't conform to UK regs.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sigh. No, they did it because they know that you Europeans never could play together without starting stupid fight. What better reason did we have to stop the production of civilian goods in the US and build weapons for you losers to kill each other?

Michael A. Terrell