3-Digit Code For Old TV

I have found this old (1990!!) TV that was sold by Montgomery Ward USA. The brand on the TV is "Signature 2000".

I also have an RCA digital TV converter box (the brand is "RCA DTA800") that comes with its remote. There is no specific part number on the RCA remote.

I'm trying to pair up the RCA remote to the TV set. I tried the following 3-digit codes that I found online: 000, 001, 023, 083, 115. None of them work...

Does anyone know what the 3-digit code is?

--
tb
Reply to

Not every 1990 TV had remote control...

Assuming that it does, the only option you have is to try all 999 codes that remote will take as it appears the remote does not have a "search" feature.

Reply to
John-Del

You can turn it on and off with a TV-B-Gone

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Even if it is remote it might be too old.

Reply to
jurb6006

Looks like you have to search by company = ward and model = Signature 2000. DirecTV remotes have a 5 digit code in their remote.

Here's page full of Signature 2000 remotes:

Try RC27A remote:

Again, from DirecTV remote codes: Also click on "find more codes".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Look inside the battery compartment, sometimes there's a part number there. is a good place to start looking, if it's an RCA universal remote.

Reply to
whit3rd

I'll give ya a +1 for both of these, in 1990 remote control sets were not entirely standard issue, especially on the lower end (which MW falls into) and trying all 999 codes might be the only way.

Since Montgomery Wards didn't make their own sets, it's likely a 3rd party kind of thing. For whatever reason I want to say they mostly were rebadged Magnavox models although Hitachi and MGA (old Mitsubishi name) rings a bell also. For all I know they could of switched every model year depending who could make them the cheapest.

The "Signature 2000" is meaningless, it's like saying you own a Buick.

If there is a paper tag still on that thing with a model number, that may lead to a clue to who made it for them.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

A 1990 set hardly qualifies as "old." Possibly my 1957-vintage Motorola highboy console does.

As others have pointed out it is quite possible that set did not come with a remote control. Is there a visible infrared receiver on the front?

--

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Roger Blake (Posts from Google Groups killfiled due to excess spam.)

NSA sedition and treason --

Don't talk to cops! --
Badges don't grant extra rights --

Roger Blake

Maybe not old, but it's pre-LCD, pre-digital, pre-HD, so I'd guess 99% of its contemporaries are in landfill ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

No one has yet mentioned the ultrasonic or RF remote controls....

Jonesy

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I once tried all 999 codes on a Universal remote. NONE of them worked. I just wasted a lot of my time doing it. Some, if not most of them are not as "universal" as they claim to be.

Reply to
oldschool

"

ot

to)

If there was an audio or rf remote used in a 1990 domestic TV, I'm unaware of them, and I repaired just about every TV that was ever sold in this coun try. TVs went IR in the late 70s - an RCA B&W remote portable being the last "impac" tuning fork clicker that I'm aware of (mechanical tuner with A C motor drive).

Reply to
John-Del

A tv repair guy told me about a mystery repair, where they were called in several times for a tv which was switching channels all the time. remote control was using sound. He finally found the reason for the errors. He saw a parrot opening its beak, each time the tv switched. The stupid bird imitated the sonic when he disliked the tv program.... Cure? Remove the bird.....

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

No, promote the bird to "genius"! Replace TV.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

des

ch"

not

into)

are of them, and I repaired just about every TV that was ever sold in this country. TVs went IR in the late 70s - an RCA B&W remote portable being the last "impac" tuning fork clicker that I'm aware of (mechanical tuner wi th AC motor drive).

You just triggered a long dormant memory. One of the tricks techs would do on the early ultrasonic remote receivers was to jingle their keys right at the TV's microphone. If the TV responded in any way, we'd just order a ne w transmitter. Of course, the old "impac" tuning fork "clickers" never qui t entirely.

Young guys could put the transmitter right against their ear and hear them work. Whether they were fundamental or harmonics they were hearing I don't know.

Reply to
John-Del

Yes, there is an infrared receiver on the front of the TV set. And the TV came with its own remote control which still works.

I was just hoping to use a single remote control for TV and converter box, instead of two...

--
tb
Reply to

Then what you need is a learning remote. They used to be popular - don't know if they still make them. Google "learning remote".

Reply to
John-Del

Signature 2000s were made by different companies. The one you have was probably one made in Taiwan by an unknown television manufacturer. (I.E. Not Fulet, AOC or Sampo.) I would try NEC codes because some of these off brand sets used NEC ics.

Chuck