Manufacturer of Insignia brand TVs?

I read with interest the post "Alternatives to Fluke DVMs?" regarding the question of the true manufacturers of DVMs and other equipment with names on them we don't recognize. (I have a Velleman DVM, BTW; while we're at it, who actually makes these?) It got me wondering. Who actually manufactures televisions with the brand name "Insignia" on the cabinets? I have thought of replacing my nearly seven-year-old RCA TV with an Insignia set (if only for the square-corner CRT; my RCA, with a standard 19" rectangular tube, still works very well with a cable box), but would like to know whether the Insignia sets are built by a reputable firm such as Sony, Panasonic, etc. or by some fly-by-night offshore electronics company. I once owned a TV made by Broadmoor in the mid-1970s for a (now defunct) retail store chain known as Kennedy and Cohen. The television had the name "Kenco" on the cabinet, and burned up after only three years. (By contrast, I bought a Zenith solid-state 12" b&w portable the day after the Kenco set quit; the Zenith lasted 22 years and was still working almost as it did when new, good picture and all, when I finally got rid of it in 2000.) I would hate to think Insignia TVs are being made by the same or another no-name offshore company, although in this day and age I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

Thanks and very kind regards,

Jeff, WB8NHV (email addy not shown to deter spammers) Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV

If you want future support and service, you are best off to purchase a quality brand name only. Insignia, is one of those imported sets, where the importers go to anyone in the Orient who can give the best bid to build a TV set.

By-the-way, most of the Fluke products are manufactured in Philips facilities for Fluke. Fluke meters are only available through Fluke, and are built to very strict standards.

--

JANA _____

Thanks and very kind regards,

Jeff, WB8NHV (email addy not shown to deter spammers) Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
JANA

Hi!

A variety of different companies. The bad news is, at least as far as I can tell, none of the Insignia branded products are made by any 'name brand' company. The closest that any of them come are sets made by Funai/Symphonic...and these aren't great or particularly long lived sets.

I'd personally recommend avoiding the Insignia-branded TV sets.

Maybe it was just bad luck?

I've got a 19 inch Montgomery Ward table TV (early digital tuner with IR remote support) that's still going as well as it did on day 1. The picture is still pretty good. However, it was made in the US, quite possibly by RCA.

Whoever made it clearly intended for it to be repaired or repairable...there's a fold out compartent on the back that reveals a neatly folded schemeatic diagram of the set, along with service info. It also has a notice to the repairperson stating that "this service literature is property of the customer and should be returned with the TV".

Buying a "brand name" set doesn't seem to be quite what it once was. I have my doubts that any TV sold today will last a third as long as the sets of times past that are still giving good service today. A decent name-brand set will, however, last much longer than many no-name cheap sets.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Reply to
Mike Berger

I remember that a lot in TV's made in the 70's. It sure was handy....

Conversely, sometimes (not as often, I imagine) the no-name sets last a good while, as well. I once stated my dislike for the Pinnacle brand of DVD players, to a group of A/V professionals. To my surprise, they love them. When they get one that works--which is usually, in their experience--it works for years. It cost them less than $40, and they rent it out for $15 a day.

Those figures are hard to argue....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I'm not certain, but I think Insignia is JVC or Mitsubishi.

Paul

Reply to
MrManuals

Correction! Its Onkyo Want to Fix Something?

Instant download after purchase

Reply to
Mr Manuals