Motor start capacitor

It's an old Sears garage door opener. The schematic shows a 50 ufd start capacitor. What's in there now is 43-52 ufd. What I've found locall to replace it is 53-64 ufd. Will that work?

Reply to
Peabody

Probably... But the wrong capacitor value may make the motor not spin up at all, or go in reverse instead.

Reply to
Fred Smith

YES Those values are not critical for that application.

Reply to
M Philbrook

Right. A start capacitor has a minimum value at which it work work. The ones that are critical are the run capacitors. And even then,

10-20% will usually work, 100% might, but the motor will run hot.
--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

You might check with an HVAC supply place if you haven't already. A lot of them carry Supco aftermarket start capactors, or have something they can cross to Supco. Supco has one that is pretty close to what you have now, and a few that might fit - all cylindrical, diameter x height:

CS43-56X110 43-56 uF, 110-125 V 1- 7/16 x 2-3/4 CS53-70X330 53-70 uF, 330 V 1-13/16 x 3-3/8 CS56-72X110 56-72 uF, 110-125 V 1- 7/16 x 2-3/4

I am not affiliated with Supco. I put one of their dual start capacitors (fan and compressor) in the outside A/C unit at my old house and it worked OK.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds