Philips Remote Controller--help

I just purchased a new Toshiba DVD Video Player/video cassette recorder. Model #SD-V394. I also purchased a Toshiba Television. I also purchased a Philips Univeral Replacement Remote Control.

The Philips Remote Controller had about a dozen code numbers for Toshiba products. One of the codes worked related to the television. However, none of the codes for Toshiba worked related the DVD and the VCR. Does anyone know the correct code for the newest Toshiba combo DVD/VCR units?

Thanks in advance, Jason

Reply to
Jason Johnson

I have the same problem as you (as well as some other problems), except my setup is an old TV and a brand new DVD/VCR combo. I HATE the combo's remote because it has too many bottons and they are too small. I picked up a little GE universal remote - supports CBL/AUX, VCR/DVD, and TV - at Big Lots, just to try because it was *cheap* (about $4) and small and has reasonable buttons. It does channel up/down, mute, and the most basic VCR functions OK but lacks some of the more mfgr/model-specific commands. You could give this remote a try if there's a Big Lots near you. I know you said you already purchased a universal remote, but since it doesn't meet your needs ....

What I'd untimately like is a two-sided remote, buttons for TV on one side and buttons for VCR/DVD on the other. I'm in the middle of a project to build one. Lacking a logic analyzer to capture and characterize the various codes I want, I am designing an IR grabber specifically for the task.

--
Michael
Reply to

In article , Michael wrote:

Jason Johnson wrote: > > I just purchased a new Toshiba DVD Video Player/video cassette recorder. > Model #SD-V394. > I also purchased a Toshiba Television. > I also purchased a Philips Univeral Replacement Remote Control. > > The Philips Remote Controller had about a dozen code numbers > for Toshiba products. One of the codes worked related to > the television. However, none of the codes for Toshiba > worked related the DVD and the VCR. Does anyone know the > correct code for the newest Toshiba combo DVD/VCR units? > > Thanks in advance, > Jason I have the same problem as you (as well as some other problems), except my setup is an old TV and a brand new DVD/VCR combo. I HATE the combo's remote because it has too many bottons and they are too small. I picked up a little GE universal remote - supports CBL/AUX, VCR/DVD, and TV - at Big Lots, just to try because it was *cheap* (about $4) and small and has reasonable buttons. It does channel up/down, mute, and the most basic VCR functions OK but lacks some of the more mfgr/model-specific commands. You could give this remote a try if there's a Big Lots near you. I know you said you already purchased a universal remote, but since it doesn't meet your needs .... What I'd untimately like is a two-sided remote, buttons for TV on one side and buttons for VCR/DVD on the other. I'm in the middle of a project to build one. Lacking a logic analyzer to capture and characterize the various codes I want, I am designing an IR grabber specifically for the task.

It would be difficult to build such an item since the television and VCR don't transmit signals--they merely receive the signal. It would probably be easier to design a device that would allow you to push a button and the device would start with 0000 and end with 9999. It may take at least an half an hour to find the codes related to the television, VCR and DVD. Hackers have software that does this same thing to find secret URLs. The software automatically checks thousands of URL, Jason

Reply to
Jason Johnson

???????? N-n-no, you misunderstand. I don't expect the TV or VCR to transmit. The genuine, came-with-the-VCR/DVD remote control will transmit; the "analyzer" I'm building will receive the datastream, timestamp each hi->low and low->high transition, and upload to PC for analysis.

To over-simplify, I want to suck the codes corresponding to specific, often-used keys out of each of the two genuine remote controls (VCR/DVD player and TV) and program those into a custom, two-sided remote control.

I've never seen a double-sided remote - keys on both "top" and "bottom" - but it's a good way, I think, to get all the keys one needs, in one remote, and without making the remote 10" long and/or each key as small as a SMT capacitor!

--
Michael
Reply to

Jason Johnson wrote: > It would be difficult to build such an item since the television and VCR > don't transmit signals--they merely receive the signal. It would probably > be easier to design a device that would allow you to push a button and the > device would start with 0000 and end with 9999. It may take at least an > half an hour to find the codes related to the television, VCR and DVD. > Hackers have software that does this same thing to find secret URLs. The > software automatically checks thousands of URL, > Jason ???????? N-n-no, you misunderstand. I don't expect the TV or VCR to transmit. The genuine, came-with-the-VCR/DVD remote control will transmit; the "analyzer" I'm building will receive the datastream, timestamp each hi->low and low->high transition, and upload to PC for analysis. To over-simplify, I want to suck the codes corresponding to specific, often-used keys out of each of the two genuine remote controls (VCR/DVD player and TV) and program those into a custom, two-sided remote control. I've never seen a double-sided remote - keys on both "top" and "bottom" - but it's a good way, I think, to get all the keys one needs, in one remote, and without making the remote 10" long and/or each key as small as a SMT capacitor!

Now I understand. That's a unique idea. I hope that you are able to make it work. My idea might also work and you are free to try it since I don't have the skills needed to make it work. Develop a remote control that works this way. The person that buys the remote control would be able to hit the tv button and control button located on the remote control and lay it down so that it is facing the television. It would start with 0000 and work up to 9999. When it found the correct code, a green light would come on. The TV code number would be displayed. The owner would write down the code. The owner of the remote control would hit the VCR button and the control button again and when the correct code was found, the green light would come on again and the owner would write down the VCR code. After the owner was done, he could use the codes that were written down to program the remote control. An option would be to design the remote control so that the owner would not even have to program the codes into the remote control--it would happen automatically. Do you understand what I wrote and do you have questions--if so, ask the questions. Do you think that you could design it? It would also be able to find the DVD code. Jason

Reply to
Jason Johnson

I think you would have some important details to work out first.

"It would start with 0000 and work up to 9999." There's an infinite number of protocols AND data-word lengths AND data-formats. Do you propose to try all of them?

And ... like you yourself pointed out, a TV/VCR/DVD don't transmit. So what sort of feedback would your automatic remote implement to know "when it found the correct code"?

Other than those considerations, your idea sounds like the early, programmable, universal remotes that captured the data stream of the "master" remote when a button on the master was pressed.

--
Michael
Reply to

Michael wrote: [snip]

Sony made (make?) remotes like that. One side was a few big, friendly buttons and the other lots of tiny buttons. The remote fitted into a sleeve of sorts, so the reverse side was covered up to avoid accidentally pressing the buttons you weren't using at the time. I saw this in the early '90s and I'm afraid I have no idea of the specific model number.

Tim

--
Did I really still have that sig?
Reply to

In article , Michael wrote:

Jason Johnson wrote: > Now I understand. That's a unique idea. I hope that you are able to make > it work. My idea might also work and you are free to try it since I don't > have the skills needed to make it work. Develop a remote control that > works this way. The person that buys the remote control would be able to > hit the tv button and control button located on the remote control and lay > it down so that it is facing the television. It would start with 0000 and > work up to 9999. When it found the correct code, a green light would come > on. The TV code number would be displayed. The owner would write down the > code. > The owner of the remote control would hit the VCR button and the control > button again and when the correct code was found, the green light would > come on again and the owner would write down the VCR code. After the owner > was done, he could use the codes that were written down to program the > remote control. An option would be to design the remote control so that > the owner would not even have to program the codes into the remote > control--it would happen automatically. Do you understand what I wrote and > do you have questions--if so, ask the questions. Do you think that you > could design it? It would also be able to find the DVD code. > Jason I think you would have some important details to work out first. "It would start with 0000 and work up to 9999." There's an infinite number of protocols AND data-word lengths AND data-formats. Do you propose to try all of them? And ... like you yourself pointed out, a TV/VCR/DVD don't transmit. So what sort of feedback would your automatic remote implement to know "when it found the correct code"? Other than those considerations, your idea sounds like the early, programmable, universal remotes that captured the data stream of the "master" remote when a button on the master was pressed.

I made one mistake in my post. I rechecked the list of over a thousand codes that came with the Phillips Universal Remote Control and they are all three digit numbers (eg 251, 894). You need to buy the Phillips Universal Remote Controller and read the section in the manual entitled "Programming With Code Search" and "Code Search by Brand". In conducting the code search by brand, I had to do a manual search of every code number that has ever been used by Toshiba. When that did not work, I had to do a manual search of every code from OOO to 999. I gave up after about 30 minutes. It involves programming one code and hitting the channel button to see if the television would change the channel. If the channel did not change--I would try another code. The Phillips Remote Control makes the job easier but it still takes a lot of time to press the button over a thousand times hoping for the television to change channels when the correct code was programmed. I was merely suggesting a way to make it automatic. Most people would not waste their time spending an hour trying to find the correct code. If you invented a new remote that made it automatic-you could get rich. Jason

Reply to
Jason Johnson

Testing one code per second that'd only do 1800 codes...

Those code numbers ar arbitrarily assigned, different brands or models of "universal" preprogrammed remotes use the same numbers to mean different settings.

You need some way to determine when you've got a code that works. one thing you could try would be to install some sort of sensor on the device you're trying to identify. eg a power sensor - most devices use more electricity when they are turned on...

--

Bye.
   Jasen

they are probably not even in the remote controller.

the code numbers are just identifiers for sets of protocol details, in and of themselves they are meaningless.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

On 2006-05-20, Jason Johnson wrote: > It would be difficult to build such an item since the television and VCR > don't transmit signals--they merely receive the signal. It would probably > be easier to design a device that would allow you to push a button and the > device would start with 0000 and end with 9999. It may take at least an > half an hour to find the codes related to the television, Testing one code per second that'd only do 1800 codes... > Hackers have software that does this same thing to find secret URLs. The > software automatically checks thousands of URL, > Jason Those code numbers ar arbitrarily assigned, different brands or models of "universal" preprogrammed remotes use the same numbers to mean different settings. You need some way to determine when you've got a code that works. one thing you could try would be to install some sort of sensor on the device you're trying to identify. eg a power sensor - most devices use more electricity when they are turned on...

On the Philips remote controller, the way to determine if the new code that I programmed was the correct one, I had to hit the power button. If the television did NOT turn off--it meant the code was the wrong one so I tried again with another code. I must have tried over 100 codes. None were successful. If someone invented a device, the computer chip would have to be programmed to change the channel or turn the power off after each potential code was tried in order to determine if the code was or was not the correct one. I did notice that the remote controller would not allow me to make use certain codes that were not listed in the manual--I don't know the reason why this happened. I also noticed that the codes listed in the Radio Shack manual were 4 digit codes whereas the the codes listed in the Philips manual were 3 digit codes. That did not make sense to me. Does anyone know the reason? jason

Reply to
Jason Johnson

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason Johnson) wrote: [snip]

As Jasen Betts mentioned above, the codes you enter are entirely arbitrary. They bear absolutely no relation whatsoever to the codes the remote uses to talk to the TV. There are two sets of codes, one is used to interface between the human and the remote (the 3 or 4 digits you enter), and the other is used to interface between the remote and the TV. The codes the remote uses to talk to the TV are far more complex than can be represented by a 3- or 4-digit number. There is no standard for the human-remote codes, which is why your Philips and Radio Shack remotes are different. The code you enter just picks a set of codes which is pre-programmed into the remote - it's set of codes as you need a different one for volume up, volume down, channel up, channel down etc. so the TV knows which button was pressed. If the remote doesn't already know the codes it needs to talk to your TV no 3 or 4 digit code you enter is going to teach it. You need some kind of programmable learning remote for that, and you need to individually teach it volume up, volume down etc.

Think of it like human language. 001 tells the remote 'speak English',

002 is 'speak French', 003 is 'speak German'. If they are the only languages it knows, typing in 004 isn't going to teach it Spanish. And the next remote you use might have 01 as Dutch, 02 as Japanese and 03 as Portugese.

Tim

--
Did I really still have that sig?
Reply to
Tim Auton

Jason Johnson wrote: (snip)

Yup. Been there; done that. The cheap little GE remote I mentioned several posts back uses the same programming method as you describe, and it came with a huge list of mfgrs. and corresponding code-reference numbers (my term). I say "code-reference" because those numbers, per se, are not what gets transmitted; they are like one SUBSCRIPT of an array while the actual data that gets sent is an ELEMENT of that array. Consider a telephone number: even if I tell you I dialed 123-4567, you know only the phone I called, not the person who I talked with.

Possibly (I don't know) the list of x-digit numbers you refer to are different for every programmable universal remote. There's no reason why they couldn't be different. Another way of putting it is that "031" programmed into the GE remote might set it up to control a Sony TV and set up your Phillips remote to operate a Sanyo TV.

My IR code grabber is coming along. Today I got PIC, IR sensor, and a 3-digit hex display wired together and run through some hoops. Have yet to wire SRAM and RS-232 conn. to PIC.

--
Michael
Reply to

In article , Michael wrote:

Jason Johnson wrote: (snip) > I made one mistake in my post. I rechecked the list of over a thousand > codes that came with the Phillips Universal Remote Control and they are > all three digit numbers (eg 251, 894). You need to buy the Phillips > Universal Remote Controller and read the section in the manual entitled > "Programming With > Code Search" and "Code Search by Brand". Yup. Been there; done that. The cheap little GE remote I mentioned several posts back uses the same programming method as you describe, and it came with a huge list of mfgrs. and corresponding code-reference numbers (my term). I say "code-reference" because those numbers, per se, are not what gets transmitted; they are like one SUBSCRIPT of an array while the actual data that gets sent is an ELEMENT of that array. Consider a telephone number: even if I tell you I dialed 123-4567, you know only the phone I called, not the person who I talked with. Possibly (I don't know) the list of x-digit numbers you refer to are different for every programmable universal remote. There's no reason why they couldn't be different. Another way of putting it is that "031" programmed into the GE remote might set it up to control a Sony TV and set up your Phillips remote to operate a Sanyo TV. My IR code grabber is coming along. Today I got PIC, IR sensor, and a 3-digit hex display wired together and run through some hoops. Have yet to wire SRAM and RS-232 conn. to PIC.

I hope that you get rich off of your invention. I was shocked that I was not able to easily program the Philips Universal Remote to work with the new television and combo VCR/DVD. I gave up after trying over 100 codes. Jason

Reply to
Jason Johnson

I just want to know what is the code for philips contollers. thnx

Reply to
nac

I just want to know what is the code for philips contollers. thnx

When your buy a Philips universal remote control or any other television/VCR/DVD remote controller--there is a list of codes for various brands of televisions/VCRs/DVDs listed in the manual that comes with the remote control. The problem in my case was that none of the codes listed in the Philips manual would work in relation to my new combo VCR/DVD. I did find a code in the manual that would allow me to control an older television so I still have it. Jason

Reply to
Jason Johnson